German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to tractor supply to purchase my dog food and could not believe my eyes, each bag increase 3 to 4 dollars a bag :eek: I feed lexie merrick dog food, is this just in new jersey or has it increased all over. just unbelievable :mad: I have been making my own treats for her (just cant pay all that money for crap) I prefer to make my own this way I know what goes in it, and she just loves it (especially for training). :mad: I do like merrick products but this is breaking the bank.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Natures Recipe jumped about that too. I can't do it. I switched to Authority which also jumped but is less. When I see Natures Recipe on sale I buy it and mix it in but I can't afford that all the time.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Chicken Soup jumped also. It's ridiculous.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Blue Buffalo Salmon went from 53 bucks to 57 here in Vegas, and I'm thinking about going back to Nature Domain Salmon now that my dog is a year old and is pretty much just needs to fill in now.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Everything is going up except income. Go figure. I am in the car business and the manufactures have really pushed the transaction prices up on new cars dramatically. We are really having to find more creative ways to keep the payments down, ie leasing verses buying. Its crazy what people have to pay. I really feel bad for the young family with a couple of kids who come in and need anything with a 3rd row seat. They have to pay through the nose or are forced to buy used with a lot of miles.

As for dog food, I feed raw and buy everything at my local independent grocer. I have not noticed a significant increase in raw meat prices but do keep my eye on dog food prices as well as pre made raw prices. I have noticed pre made raw prices at my local high end pet food store jumped dramatically as well.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I have noticed Merrick and Orijen going up, but I am not going to stop feeding it. I just bite the bullet and pay for it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have been making my own treats for her (just cant pay all that money for crap) I prefer to make my own this way I know what goes in it, and she just loves it (especially for training)./QUOTE]
I home brew beer so I always have fresh spent grain that I have already rinsed all the sugars out of, so I put it in the oven on low and let it get dry again, run it through the grain mill to produce flour and make 100% natural dog treats with the Flower and Honey. Cheap, high quality and no additives to be concerned with. I can make 10+ pounds of treats from one batch of beer and each treat is about the size of a small dog sized dog bonez treat. So I get a huge batch every time. I give some to the foundation I got my girl from, some to the local Humane shelter and use the rest when training. Indi is not very food motivated, but the Golden would eat them all in one sitting if we let her. So it all works out good and I usually make one batch a month, so they never get old or go stale.

Wheelchair Bob

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I posted the recipe for the liver treats I make, has oatmeal and cornmeal in it. it cost about $2.00 for about 10 small sandwich bags. if I bought that in the store it would be $7.00 a bag for training treats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts