German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, we live in a big city and have a 5 1/2 mo. old beautiful german shepherd. I read the site daily for tips on teaching and training my pup.

Living in a big city, during weekdays, the only time Mac is off leash other than at home and in our small yard is at our neighborhood park. My question is in regards to his off-leash behavior toward other dogs.

Off leash, Mac chases other dogs - when they stop running, he circles the dogs and barks at them. Sometime he tries nipping them. Would you consider this behavior aggressive? If so, how should I correct it?

Also, how do you train a gsd to be friendly towards all dogs? I grew up with gsds in a rural setting and living in the city I need my pup to be more "mellow and friendly" than compared to the gsds I grew up with.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Sounds like he's herding. Is he in any obedience classes? Do you have any beginner treibball classes anywhere near you? I think he would love treibball:) I just seen where you live. There is a place near Melrose Park that offers treibball, beginning agility, and nosework. I also found a place that offers herding, but its pretty far south and they are hard to get in touch with

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Treibball like this:
- That is cool, I've never seen this game before.

As far as obedience, we started taking him the past few weeks for obedience training. The breeder has other gsds and their owners going through agility, tracking, and bite work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts