German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone is selling a 5 years old sable male gsd, neutered, on a buy/sell online forum in Vancouver BC. I went to see him. He is very handsome, friendly to me and to my dog. He barked a little at first, once we got into their backyard, he was completely fine, interacting with me and playing with Timber. He looks healthy to me, nice teeth, running, jumping, and going up and down a stair without any issue. However, he seems over weight. He is much taller and bigger than Timber

Owner said they are too busy now and can't spend much time with the dog. They sounded they want someone to get him immediately. Hopefully he won't end up in SPCA or someone not experienced with gsd and may need to be rehomed again.

Any one here want to adopt this handsome big boy, pm me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
What a handsome dog. I hope he finds a great new home. My husband would kill me if I brought home another GSD. Plus, we're very far away. Did I mention my husband would kill me...? :)

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
This is a dog that is for sale, by owner. This sounds like a sale, not a rescue.

All, please do not buy into or encourage others to buy into threats of what will happen if he's not sold quickly! The owner is control of what happens to him. If they're good people and love their dog, there's no urgency. If they're not, well....

That's a common emotional blackmail/fraud technique used by shady owners and their accomplices on the Internet to extract cash out of soft-hearted people -- "pay us or we'll do X [give him to a high-kill shelter, shoot him, turn him loose on a highway, whatever]." It's a very common ploy in my area, and it's a scam -- as soon as they get money for this threat, they get another dog and repeat the process with someone else and make a livelihood out of it. It's extremely common on CL, sometimes using a picture of dog in a bad circumstance (on a chain, in mud, etc.), or sometimes using a story of something sad going on with the owner, and when someone writes asking to help get the dog into a better situation, they get a "rehoming fee" demand of $500 immediately, or else a bad thing will happen to the dog.

The description of giving him to the SPCA if someone doesn't pay up to buy him quickly sounds like a version of this. After all, what's the real urgency here? My response would be: "At the SPCA, an appropriate rescue will be able to get him out and into good hands."

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I agree with Magwart: I moved it out rescue.

Did you inquire about the breeding or pedigree of this dog? If they bought the dog from a responsible breeder, they may have it in their contract that they must contact the breeder first before selling/re-homing/giving away their dog.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a dog that is for sale, by owner. This sounds like a sale, not a rescue.

All, please do not buy into or encourage others to buy into threats of what will happen if he's not sold quickly! The owner is control of what happens to him. If they're good people and love their dog, there's no urgency. If they're not, well....

That's a common emotional blackmail/fraud technique used by shady owners and their accomplices on the Internet to extract cash out of soft-hearted people -- "pay us or we'll do X [give him to a high-kill shelter, shoot him, turn him loose on a highway, whatever]." It's a very common ploy in my area, and it's a scam -- as soon as they get money for this threat, they get another dog and repeat the process with someone else and make a livelihood out of it. It's extremely common on CL, sometimes using a picture of dog in a bad circumstance (on a chain, in mud, etc.), or sometimes using a story of something sad going on with the owner, and when someone writes asking to help get the dog into a better situation, they get a "rehoming fee" demand of $500 immediately, or else a bad thing will happen to the dog.

The description of giving him to the SPCA if someone doesn't pay up to buy him quickly sounds like a version of this. After all, what's the real urgency here? My response would be: "At the SPCA, an appropriate rescue will be able to get him out and into good hands."
Sorry, I didn't think of that this isn't a rescue, just want to spread the words so the dog will end up with a gsd lover. The owner didn't say he will take the dog to SPCA, but he did ask if I could take him immediately. I was just afraid he would do that because he seemed so urgent.

I agree with Magwart: I moved it out rescue.

Did you inquire about the breeding or pedigree of this dog? If they bought the dog from a responsible breeder, they may have it in their contract that they must contact the breeder first before selling/re-homing/giving away their dog.
I asked but the owner said he doesn't have paper and didn't say much about where the dog was obtained.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

Yes we call that dog flipping round these parts. And this is exactly why shelters and rescues can seem so over the top in approving adopters. Any "rehoming fees" by private owners, especially of unpapered dogs, should be seriously scrutinized. Rescues and shelters charge 250 or so around here to cover the cost of operating. They vet and assess dogs before they go to a new home. There is no reason for a private owner to charge to rehome their "beloved" pet. Paying vet bills is a given for your pets, it is not overhead to keep saving more animals like the reason a rescue charges.

OP- I know you meant well. People who do these things prey on people with good hearts. Of course can't say for sure if this person you met is doing that, but it smacks of it. How much is he selling the dog for?

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
There is no reason for a private owner to charge to rehome their "beloved" pet. Paying vet bills is a given for your pets, it is not overhead to keep saving more animals like the reason a rescue charges.

OP- I know you meant well. People who do these things prey on people with good hearts. Of course can't say for sure if this person you met is doing that, but it smacks of it. How much is he selling the dog for?
The OP met a nice dog and posted on a GSD forum b/c he felt for the dog. There is no link of FB page for it that outlines the threats that people use to dog flip. In fact dog flipping is usually dogs that were stolen OR rehomed for FREE.

I haven't done in awhile, but I used to go on kijiji and search for people who were rehoming their dogs for free or for $50 "the charge is b/c we want to make sure it goes to a good home"
Well, guess what...a $50 dog is pennies for those who find dogs to use for bait in dog fighting.

Free dogs are even more desirable for this reason. In tact and purebred, even better!!! I usually suggest they charge no less then $300.
I scared a woman so bad, she decided to keep her dog and thanked me for helping her realize just how important the dog was to her. She pulled the ad the same day

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I would not rehome a dog for free period to an unknown person, for the reasons you listed. I would not sell it either, to someone unknown. Even for 300 bucks or over, I would expect people to expect the dog to be intact, and then that just goes out to the byb world.

I have had to rehome a dog before, once, due to divorce. I networked to every friend I could and she went to a friend in North Carolina. I drove her there from NJ and paid her 6 months worth of vet fees and basic preventative meds.

If you don't have the time or resources to do something like that, then a rescue is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
GatorBytes, you did good with that one. After the Puppy Doe story broke, cl was pretty barren of "free to good home" adds in this area for a while but then they started cropping up again even with forewarning reposts on cl of what happened.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Update: He is now in the Burnaby shelter, hope he finds a loving home.

Burnaby Shelter
3202 Norland Ave, Burnaby, BC V5B 3A6
[email protected]
604-291-7201
Sorry to hear he ended up at the SPCA-hope he does in fact find a great home. I'm the kinda guy who would always err towards getting any dog into a good home situation--as opposed to worrying about an individual owners "motives" for rehoming--. You tried to do a good thing w/this thread-- for the dog's sake I'm sorry it didn't work----So to you Kudos and Thanks!

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Though I don't know anyone personally there, I reached out through rescue to GSR of BC to let them know about him.

OP, it might also be helpful for you to touch base with them (through their FB, perhaps), since you met the dog and have an impression of his temperament. If you like him enough to foster him for a bit, the breed rescue might be really happy to hear from you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Though I don't know anyone personally there, I reached out through rescue to GSR of BC to let them know about him.

OP, it might also be helpful for you to touch base with them (through their FB, perhaps), since you met the dog and have an impression of his temperament. If you like him enough to foster him for a bit, the breed rescue might be really happy to hear from you.
I really like him. He is a very sweet boy, he cuddles which is something Timber doesn't like much! I have thought about taking him from the owner, then look for a suitable family for him. My problem is that I will be going for a 3 weeks trip next Monday. I actually made a post here about two months ago asking for boarding recommendations. Sadly, I will have to put Timber in a boarding kennel for 3 weeks. He has never been away from me, hope he won't be too stressed out!!

I have also considered boarding him with Timber in case I can't find him a family before my trip. but I was concerned how he will get along with Timber in the same run for 3 weeks when I won't be there to supervise, and also the additional cost etc...I did ask the owner if I could take him home for day or two just to make sure he and Timber will get along, but the owner refused.

He is a handsome gentle giant, hope he finds a good home or GSD rescue can find him a suitable foster home!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Boarding

I really like him. He is a very sweet boy, he cuddles which is something Timber doesn't like much! I have thought about taking him from the owner, then look for a suitable family for him. My problem is that I will be going for a 3 weeks trip next Monday. I actually made a post here about two months ago asking for boarding recommendations. Sadly, I will have to put Timber in a boarding kennel for 3 weeks. He has never been away from me, hope he won't be too stressed out!!
I know this is off topic...but just wanted to give you a warning about boarding your dog. I have a small boarding kennel, and have been boarding dogs for many years. German Shepherds do usually not do well boarding. They often stress, have diarrhea, pace, stop eating...and just generally as a breed do not do well. I'm surprised that the kennel you will be leaving your dog at did not require a test run of a weekend or at least an overnight!!!! I do have a few 'regulars' , and they do well...but we started slowly...and for short times.

3 weeks is a long time to be boarded, even for a dog that is used to being away from home regularly. Your dog has never been away from home, and I really would be worried about him being stressed. Take something that you wear (t-shirt, sweatshirt with your smell on it) and leave it with him at the kennel, also if he has a bed or blanket from home. Bring his food, and if you think they may need to entice him with something to get him to eat (parmesan cheese, canned dog food, shredded cheese, cooked chicken (you can freeze and freeze in ziplock bags). Make sure they have your number and can get ahold of you easily...and check in often with e-mail to see how he is doing. Is this a large boarding kennel? Will he get walks, or outside playtime?

Can you do an overnight before your trip?? Then at least he knows that you are coming back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know this is off topic...but just wanted to give you a warning about boarding your dog. I have a small boarding kennel, and have been boarding dogs for many years. German Shepherds do usually not do well boarding. They often stress, have diarrhea, pace, stop eating...and just generally as a breed do not do well. I'm surprised that the kennel you will be leaving your dog at did not require a test run of a weekend or at least an overnight!!!! I do have a few 'regulars' , and they do well...but we started slowly...and for short times.

3 weeks is a long time to be boarded, even for a dog that is used to being away from home regularly. Your dog has never been away from home, and I really would be worried about him being stressed. Take something that you wear (t-shirt, sweatshirt with your smell on it) and leave it with him at the kennel, also if he has a bed or blanket from home. Bring his food, and if you think they may need to entice him with something to get him to eat (parmesan cheese, canned dog food, shredded cheese, cooked chicken (you can freeze and freeze in ziplock bags). Make sure they have your number and can get ahold of you easily...and check in often with e-mail to see how he is doing. Is this a large boarding kennel? Will he get walks, or outside playtime?

Can you do an overnight before your trip?? Then at least he knows that you are coming back.

Thanks so much for your concern and all your suggestions!

It has been a stressful experience trying to find a good place. I have visited several kennels, talked to a few dog walkers and a dog trainer who do home boarding (two I really like are already fully booked), talked a dog walker who would stay at my place for the period, considered asking a couple friends to look after him... pretty much all I can to find the best solution for him. At the end, when putting his safety as priority, I chose to go with kennel.

I picked a smaller kennel and visited it with Timber. It was recommended to me by two dog walkers and found very good reviews online. The owner lives just next to the kennel, she is very knowledgeable about gsd, she used to train gsd for others but now just train her own dogs for competitions. I talked to her and trust that she would put safety first. The run in the kennel is divided into two sections, smaller indoor section and a bigger outdoor section, but the door between the two sections will be closed at night. They will let dogs out several times a day for potty, take turn to let different dogs out into a bigger outdoor run for exercise, she decides which dog can play with which dog if owners open for dog play. Also, I feel sorry for leaving him, so I chose to pay extra for a long daily walk, one-on-one time, treats and daily updates. So staying for 3 weeks isn't cheap!!!

In fact, I just dropped him off this morning as a trial night and will pick him up tomorrow afternoon. I saw quite a few gsd there. As I filled out the form, a guy dropped off a young female gsd, the guy said it isn't her first time here and the experience was very positive. However, I know no matter how well the kennel is, he will definitely be stressed or even sad!! I really have no other option, don't have any close family here who can look after him for me.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions, I will provide his own food, and will get him something I wear and his own blanket for the long stay. I will see how he is and talk the the owner tomorrow to find out if there is any concern.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts