German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just brought home a 10 week old GSD - our first (we've only had labs before). Met the dad, who was pretty huge. But then again, I'm just used to labs.
The puppy weighs 27 pounds right now; the breeders said he was the biggest of the litter. He has a bit of a belly when you look at him from above. We're not really concerned or anything, just wondering if his puppy weight suggests that he'll also be on the heavy end as an adult?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Last week I took my pups in for a nail trim, my girl is 10 months and weighs 54 pds,
My boy is 5 months and weighs 58 pds, they both look great! Just like people some have bigger frames than others.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
if you can feel ribs he probably isnt overweight but if you can't just watch how much he eats carefully. Did the vet say he looked healthy or overweight?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Penny was 31lbs at 16 weeks old... she gained about 10lbs every 4 weeks, but she is a female and females are smaller.. also just as someone else said some have bigger frames than others, your boy looks like he is gunna get big :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
16 pounds at 11 weeks

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
He looks like he's going to be a big guy, but you can't be sure with a 10 week old pup. Do keep him lean as he matures.

He's truly just a baby now. At this age feed high quality food in appropriate amounts and don't worry about his weight. If he's happy, active, with good coat, eyes, skin & stool, and he's growing nicely, then you have little to worry about. But as he matures into an adult dog, please, please, keep him the lean side of trim. His joints will thank you.

I personally love the big guys, specifically tall and lean, however big should not mean fat. Dogs today are so often over weight that people, including vets, often no longer realize what a healthy weight is. Way too often people see a lean dog in good condition and believe the dog is too skinny! For the sake of your dog don't fall into that trap.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I think my friend's WGSL dog was about that big. At 8 weeks he was 20-something. He was a monster puppy! As an adult he's pretty normal. I'd guess he's about 25.5" and 85lbs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a big male too, your guy is just going to be a nice big male. He should be taken off of puppy food and given adult food soon in order to avoid pano. Hopefully your breeder explained that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Kratos was 20.7 lbs at 8 weeks. He's HUGE. We monitor his food consuption and right now he's got a bit of chub on him. Its reassuring to see other people with large puppies. I thought he was a mutant GSD! My only suggestion would be to monitor the food. My breeder keeps reminding me: "2 feedings a day at one cup of food each, and limit the treats!" If he doesn't eat his breakfast within a 15-30 min time slot (probbaly should be less but I'm a big old softie) I take his food away and he just has to suck it up until supper time.

He looks gorgeous, so as long as the vet clears him as healthy and he doesn't have bones poking out, I'd just be mindful of his feedings. Any extra weight on these boys as they get bigger is not going to be healthy for them.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Dex was growing really fast, until I switched to adult food last week. He's 10 weeks now and weighs 18 lbs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts