German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything in breed standard that addresses ear size?Are large ears seen more often in german vs ambred-show vs working?Are large ears in anyway considered not desirable in a GSD?

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
all the better to hear you with my dear

Quote:Ears are moderately pointed, in proportion to the skull, open toward the front, and carried erect when at attention, the ideal carriage being one in which the center lines of the ears, viewed from the front, are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the ground. A dog with cropped or hanging ears must be disqualified.
open to interpretation I suppose regarding the size of the head. I do see bigger ears on american breds. However, my west german bitch had HUGE ears until she was about 2 and her head caught up to them.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just have to say my dog meets standard-but darn ears are big at maturity-do NOT think he hears me any better-maybe selective hearing?

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Yeah, love that selective deafness. Otto has pretty small ears for the size of his head, sometimes he acts deaf as a rock and i have to get his attention with clicky kissy smoochie noises that probably make my neighbors think I'm soft.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Bruiser's a pin head with a set of ears that would make Dumbo green with envy - they're HUGE! But he's a good boy and I love him anyway!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Morgan says "did somebody say ridiculously big ears?'

she was about 18 months here, her head hadn't caught up yet

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
THESE were "Dumbo ears"!!! (He was barely 3 months old.)

Luckily only 7 months later, he looked like this: (Just turned 10 months old.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Griffin at 8.5 months looks just like Morgans ears. not sure their going to change, I wonder are his ears too big or is his head too small?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: ttalldogIs there anything in breed standard that addresses ear size?Are large ears seen more often in german vs ambred-show vs working?Are large ears in anyway considered not desirable in a GSD?
From what I've seen, it seems more Am line GSDs have a wider ear set and maybe larger ears.

I like medium-sized ears that stick up parallel and are more triangular in shape, but not too pointy. Like Kenya, I personally love her ears and ear set, I think it fits her head and expression and the ears are not distracting, though some might say they are just a tad too big:

For me, Nikon's ears are a bit too big and a tad too pointy, but his head is still growing:

I don't really like these shaped ears, where they kinda curl outward and are straight on the outer edge (this is Nikon's father):

I like ears like this:

·
2,967 Posts
My West german working dogs have pretty huge ears that they get from their Momma...

I don't think you see too many small ears on Amline dogs but I think big ears pop up in almost every other line from what I've seen.

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Cujo and Jenna at six months:

Cujo and Jenna's sire and dam:

Jenna at one year:

Cujo at about 1 year:

His sire, Dubya:

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Talk about a set of ears :eek: ... this is Bruiser's class photo taken when he was about 18 months old.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It seems quite normal for puppies to have oversized ears and grow into them, like their feet.

Here's my girls ears at a little over 5 months, after only a day or so of both finally standing together.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts