German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back when I still had Lucy and I was being educated, I got into a conversation with my big brother. He was at home visiting and we got to talking about Lucy and the stuff I learned on forums.

He brought up some things that are still stuck in my mind today.

So at some point of the convo, I told him about reputable breeders and backyard breeders.

This is his argument, not in exact words, but the meaning is still there:

Big Bro: "Lucy looks like a good dog to me. Is she a good dog to you?"

Me: "Yeah, but because I got her from a BYB, she's going to have health and other issues later."

Big Bro: "Really? But don't those other types of breeders have problems with their dogs too? No matter how well they breed their dogs, their dogs aren't going to be perfect. I bet there's been cases in which people have gotten a dog from where you got Lucy and they end up with less problems then from this type of breeder you are talking about."

Me: "That may be true, but the chances of problems from a good breeder are less than from a backyard breeder."

Big Bro: "You know what my opinion is? I think that's a load of crap. I got Thor from what you call the bad breeder. Thor was a good dog and I didn't have a lot of health problems with him. Really, you don't have to go to a special breeder to get a good dog. Those dog people you are talking to are too deep."

(Thor was a Rotty he had)

You know, what he said still sticks with me.

Here's what I see and why I want to buy from a reputable breeder:
They help the breed by improving it
They love the breed and don't use it as a way of cashing in
They try their best to make sure none of their pups end up in a shelter

So okay, you would assume a BYB doesn't care if their dogs end up in a shelter? Well, that's not completely true. Back when I was searching for a dog and before I got Lucy, I talked to BYBs. They loved their dogs and I bet they'd cry their hearts out if they found out their pups ended up in a shelter.

But today, I somewhat believe my brother is right. A reputable breeder pup could get SCH3, but couldn't a BYB dog? Have people not done it before, even made guard dogs out of BYB puppies?

Can you not get a good dog out of a BYB, a dog that can be as good as a reputable breeder's dog?

I posted this thread because I've been wondering about it lately. I've been wondering about it for a while, actually.

I'm still for reputable breeders, but I'm just wondering.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
So okay, you would assume a BYB doesn't care if their dogs end up in a shelter? Well, that's not completely true. Back when I was searching for a dog and before I got Lucy, I talked to BYBs. They loved their dogs and I bet they'd cry their hearts out if they found out their pups ended up in a shelter.
Crying your eyes out if you just so happen to find out that one of your pups ended up in a shelter is a whole different ballgame from tattooing/microchipping the dog, listing yourself as a contact on the tattoo/microchip, and only selling to buyers that will sign a contract promising to return the dog to you if they can't take care of it any longer.

But today, I somewhat believe my brother is right. A reputable breeder pup could get SCH3, but couldn't a BYB dog?
Maybe it could, but which is more likely to be able to? One whose parents have been bred for generations to look pretty and be nice pets, or one whose parents have been bred for generations to work?

Can you not get a good dog out of a BYB, a dog that can be as good as a reputable breeder's dog?
You can get a good dog anywhere. My mom has a Rottweiler/Great Dane/Lab she got at five weeks old for $10. He's a fabulous dog. You can also get a bad dog anywhere. But where are you more likely to get a healthy dog? One whose parents have been bred randomly, or one whose parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents all the way back to Adam and Eve have been selectively bred for correct structure, hips, and working ability?

Personally, I'm at the point where the only way I would get a dog is a)If I can research his ancestors for generations and make sure they are what I am looking for, or b) as an adult so I can look at the dog and know whether or not he's what I'm looking for.

With an adult, you know what the dog is. With a well-bred pup from a well-researched lineage, you have a pretty good idea of what the dog will be. With a puppy from any old pet lineage, you have no idea what the dog is or what it will be.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I see. So what shuts that argument down is the fact that reputable breeders are more likely to produce what you are looking for. I was kinda thinking that. Got ya.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
, But today, I somewhat believe my brother is right. A reputable breeder pup could get SCH3, but couldn't a BYB dog? Have people not done it before, even made guard dogs out of BYB puppies?

I'm still for reputable breeders, but I'm just wondering.
Given the right dog and the right handler, a non papered dog and a dog from a byb can do what a dog from a reputable breeder can do, and yes, they can live long healthy lives.

Now all you have to do is figure out what a reputable breeder is, and what makes one person a byb while another person is considered a "real" or reputable one?

PS: You should take some courses in philosophy I think you'd enjoy them.;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts