German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting this huge bone for Christmas for Sinister and for Rogue, it's a Hickory Pork Ham Bone.

Do you think that it is safe to give to them? I was thinking I would give it to them while they are in their crates (Rogue is food aggressive so I need to keep them apart not to mention I'm sure they'll make a mess) and I will sit by them and read a book or something because their crates are in my room and I want to supervise them incase they choke or something. Do you think it would be ok to give them this?

Also Sinister is going to be Santa this year and Rogue is going to be his Elf

What do you guys think? :laugh:

·
5,627 Posts
No to the bone.

I don't like the cooked bones. They break apart and make a mess. I get the marrow bones from the grocery store for Raven and fosters. They chew on them long after the marrow and whatever is gone from the bone.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
poor sin and rogue...i say NO to the costumes lol

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I gave one of those years ago to Audrey for her first day home alone in the crate. It was one of the medium sized ones, but the same brand and type as the big ones everyone sees in the stores.

I thought it would last a few days, but came home to only a few slivers (yes, sharp long slivers) in the crate. I will NEVER feed one of those again.

We go to teh butcher and get the cow femur bones and have them cut into 4 - 6 inch sections and the ends cut in half (they are HUGE at our butcher). Each femur is about $3. We give each dog one frozen raw section a week.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gave one of those years ago to Audrey for her first day home alone in the crate. It was one of the medium sized ones, but the same brand and type as the big ones everyone sees in the stores.

I thought it would last a few days, but came home to only a few slivers (yes, sharp long slivers) in the crate. I will NEVER feed one of those again.

We go to teh butcher and get the cow femur bones and have them cut into 4 - 6 inch sections and the ends cut in half (they are HUGE at our butcher). Each femur is about $3. We give each dog one frozen raw section a week.
Yikes!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I don't like hard recreational bones (cooked or raw) for my dogs. If your dogs are powerful chewers, there is a real risk of them creaking teeth on these bones. Even if they don't break their teeth, giving hard bones on a regular basis will wear their teeth down pretty badly. Both of my GSDs front teeth are worn to the gumline from chewing on hard bones during their younger years. It doesn't seem to bother them but...

If you want to do cow bones, I'd suggest sticking with raw rib bones. They are a lot more edible than the weight bearing bones.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't like hard recreational bones (cooked or raw) for my dogs. If your dogs are powerful chewers, there is a real risk of them creaking teeth on these bones. Even if they don't break their teeth, giving hard bones on a regular basis will wear their teeth down pretty badly. Both of my GSDs front teeth are worn to the gumline from chewing on hard bones during their younger years. It doesn't seem to bother them but...

If you want to do cow bones, I'd suggest sticking with raw rib bones. They are a lot more edible than the weight bearing bones.
Oh, ok, thank you.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
We've been doing this for years with ours and always get compliments from the vet on their gorgeous teeth. Certainly not worn down and never broken.

Not to say it couldn't happen but we've got several here that are very strong chewers. They wear down the souper size durable nylabones over time and I know many dogs who have had those things for years.

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
I've given marrow bones for years and haven't had any problems. I have heard that marrow bones can be hard on teeth, as AgileGSD stated, and I think alot of people feed knuckle bones because of this.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I gave Stosh one of those and he chewed the end off of it. It was kind of a mess, he really didn't seem to like it much but yours might. I'd just keep an eye on them- like you wouldn't anyway...

I just don't know what to say about the costumes other than I'm sure they'll look awfully cute, in a big hairy elf way

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I've given marrow bones for years and haven't had any problems. I have heard that marrow bones can be hard on teeth, as AgileGSD stated, and I think alot of people feed knuckle bones because of this.
We've been doing this for years with ours and always get compliments from the vet on their gorgeous teeth. Certainly not worn down and never broken.

Not to say it couldn't happen but we've got several here that are very strong chewers. They wear down the souper size durable nylabones over time and I know many dogs who have had those things for years.
The issue is that just because some dogs can eat them for years without a problem, some can't and you never know if your dog is one who can't until they have broken or worn teeth. If you would have asked me when my dogs were younger, I'd have told you they get beef bones all the time and I've never had a problem.

I've known dogs who only chew on bones enough to get the meat/marrow out and for those dogs, hard bones are generally not a problem. If your dog really chews on the bone in an attempt to break pieces off to eat though, it is going to at the very least cause extra wear on the teeth. My GSDs ate huge knuckle bones down to nothing and they would get marrow bones in their back molars to try to crack them.

I'm all for feeding edible bones and raw feeding in general. My dogs get chicken backs almost every day. Turkey necks are good for dogs who won't try to swallow them whole. My dogs also occasionally get beef or pork ribs and pork neck bones too. But IMO it isn't worth the extra wear and tear on the dog's teeth to give the weight bearing beef bones for recreational chewing, especially not on a regular basis.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Totally understand. I guess everyone has to weigh the pros and cons. If we had one that tried to break pieces off to eat, I would not feed bones. So everyone should certainly watch their dogs initially and see if they are chewing to chew and lick, or chewing to try to eat.

I'm glad our dogs don't do this, because it keeps the teeth sparkly white and 1 to 2 days a week they are occupied the better part of the day with the bones. :)

·
Premium Member
751 Posts

I switched to only nylabones thinking it was a good choice until my vet told me that my 5 year old has 2 cracked teeth so no more bones. It kinda sucks because both my girls loved to chew their bones and I liked it for keeping their teeth clean but no more.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I would give raw knucklebones or nylabones over any other. Marrow can be rich and upset the digestive tract for some dogs. And the cartilege in the knucklebone is beneficial. Smoked splinter and are dangerous as everyone else has posted.

I say no to the costumes and yes to a teaserball, eggeball or jollyball instead, they would have a blast-especially on the snow!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I give Bandit and now Morgen some animal bone not sure which the lady at the pet store awhile back recommended them when I was telling her about Bandits chewing problem she said to give him those, that what she gives her large dog..... They work great! They last only a day or two but it's better than 5 minutes sometimes not even. Shepherds have very strong jaws and I have bought Bandit some of those large store bones in the past that are suppose to last for hours or days with large dogs and Bandit has them gone in 5 minutes. I was like wow there went $6.00 down the drain considering I was getting it to keep his chewing desire satisfied for a bit. Now I just by them these animal bones and they don't splinter keeps them busy for a long while and it's a lot cheaper only $2.00 a bone.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have given these bones to my dogs. You certainly need to watch them with it because pieces can and do break off, especially as the bone starts to wear down. Initially they will chew through the porus part and eat the crunchy meaty part. I have found it to be extremley helpful in cleaning their teeth in just one day. I give them to my dogs as a special treat- so far Jackson has had 1 and Arlo has had 2, so they don't get them too frequently. I personally get freaked out by raw meat, so they get these.

I have used them in the past as well, and have never had a problem with the bones as far as problems passing it, or worn teeth. I HAVE had problems with the dogs dropping them on my feet and chipping the floor though, and they have splintered and that's when you need to just take it away. I vote yes for the bone, as long as you keep a close eye on them! They will love it!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think pork bones are to soft
for a GSD. is the bone air smoked
or chemically induced?

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
You guys voting no to the costumes are no fun!! I think it'd be super cute. :D Chance and Zoey both have santa hats and Chance has a collar similar to the collar around the elf suit only it's not apart of an outfit, it's a regular collar. :p

I dress my dogs up for -everything-. Lol! Christmas, Halloween (New costume for Chance every year! Zoey is too old for so much chaos so she stays inside these days), cold days, Chance had a pair of PJ's when he was younger (He out grew them though), and I even bought him a custom made shirt this year with my little brothers school name/mascot, our last name and his football number on it that he wore to his games. :) Call it silly if you want but my dogs don't mind it at all and it really catches the attention of people which 9 times out of 10 leads to the dogs getting more attention than if they weren't dressed up (Which is espcially true for Chance since when he isn't in outfits, people think he's a big bad GSD and once he's in a shirt or something he all of a sudden is no longer a bad dog to people) and both my dogs are total attention whores so they really soak it all up. If they didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't force it on them. But they come running when they see it and don't try to pull them off so it's obviously not torture to them.

Back to the bones though, I wouldn't feed any cooked bone. I'm also NOT a Nylabone fan. Working in a kennel I saw so many dogs come in with half eaten Nylabones and there is no convincing me that a dog eating plastic is any better than a cooked bone. Get them some raw knuckle bones, rib bones, chicken quarters, turkey neck, ect. A lot safer. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts