German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a German Shepherd puppy from a breeder that was advertising them as solid black but when I brought the puppy home i noticed he has tan in between his toes and a little tan inside his ears. He is all black otherwise. Would he be considered a bicolor?

·
Super Moderator
6,475 Posts
potentially. solid blacks can also have a bit of bleed thru... generally doesn’t show up til later.

photos and pedigree would be more telling (what color were the parents? littermates?), a bi color would also have a bit of tan under their tail... vent area

·
Registered
429 Posts
A true black GSD is completely black from the moment he or she is born I believe. I could be wrong on that, but that's what I've read. so I don't think I could honestly call your puppy a solid black.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
potentially. solid blacks can also have a bit of bleed thru... generally doesn’t show up til later.

photos and pedigree would be more telling (what color were the parents? littermates?), a bi color would also have a bit of tan under their tail... vent area
I cant get him to sit still for a picture right now.... His dad had long hair and was solid black and his mom was solid black with a white patch on her chest. According to his AKC pedigree his grandparents on his dad's side were both all black and his grandmother on his mom side was blue and grandfather was black and red...I'm just a little confused because I have read that 2 solid black german shepherds will always have solid black puppies.

·
Registered
30,889 Posts
Black dogs, as they age, can have bleed thru tan on their legs. They are genetically black.

You would have to post a picture but my guess is if you are seeing tan as a young puppy that you might have a bicolor. If it's just between his toes and inside his ears, without the tan vent as Fodder describes, then I would think he's a black.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Black dogs, as they age, can have bleed thru tan on their legs. They are genetically black.

You would have to post a picture but my guess is if you are seeing tan as a young puppy that you might have a bicolor. If it's just between his toes and inside his ears, without the tan vent as Fodder describes, then I would think he's a black.
Here is the tan in between his paws. And the tan in his ear. His tail doesnt seem to have any tan on it but the part of his tail near his butt is kind of bald looking so I'm not sure.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,475 Posts
i’m gonna venture to say your pup is black. knowing that there is a blue grandparent - suggests there’s weak pigment in the lines. not entirely sure of all the ways that can manifest, but no tan bum means no bi color.

·
Registered
30,889 Posts
Black and black can only produce black. Blue is also recessive so both parents need to carry it. Your puppy is black. There is no tan on the ears. You are probably just seeing skin between the toes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i’m gonna venture to say your pup is black. knowing that there is a blue grandparent - suggests there’s weak pigment in the lines. not entirely sure of all the ways that can manifest, but no tan bum means no bi color.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
No, not bi-color. Solid blacks can have tan between the toes and some ear feathers. Some blacks can get more brown bleed through in areas as they age.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts