German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bi-colors - I noticed they weren't a color choice on the AKC registration until 2001. Have they been around a long time being registered as another color combo or is the pattern something new? Just curious, they're beautiful.

Hope this is in the right place.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
to my knowledge, bi-colors were registered as black and tans. but dont take my word for it!! thats only what i've read. I'll see if i can find the site again and post it if i do.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Well, you hit the nail on the head. It's a pattern, not a color :) So yes, they are registered as a black and tan COLOR and are a bi-color PATTERN.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Actually there is a lot of debate with regards to bi-color being a color vs a pattern of black/tan. Jury is still out on that, though Willis' maintains it is a color (like black/tan, sable, self colored, etc..) from a genetics perspective and NOT merely a pattern of black/tan.

But yes, before it was an option on the AKC registration they were just registered as black/tan.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
So are most bi-colors black and tan then?
I don't really understand the question. Are you speaking from a laymen's standpoint, or a genetics standpoint? From a genetics standpoint, as I said there is debate as to whether bi-color is a color or if it is a pattern of the color black/tan.

From a laymen's standpoint yes bi-colors are black and tan in that they have a mostly black body with tan markings. The tan pigment can of course come in different shades, often termed "silver" or "cream" or red", just as it can in a black/tan or sable dog. And the black can of course be diluted to liver or blue, just as can happen in any other color.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't really understand the question. Are you speaking from a laymen's standpoint, or a genetics standpoint? ...snip...
From a laymen's standpoint yes bi-colors are black and tan in that they have a mostly black body with tan markings. The tan pigment can of course come in different shades, often termed "silver" or "cream" or red", just as it can in a black/tan or sable dog. And the black can of course be diluted to liver or blue, just as can happen in any other color.
That answered my question, thanks. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts