German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am wondering if someone can tell me the difference between bi -color and melanistic? Are the terms interchangeable? I call my dog a bi-color, but is he really just a black and tan, with a large blanket? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
My vote is blanket black and tan. He's missing the pencil marks on his toes and no tarheels. the black on him is too far up to be considered bi-color. I believe it has to be below the elbows.
This is my girl from almost a year ago. She's a bicolor. Melanistic is just saying the dog has more dark pigment than the standard coat color calls for (imo). Possibly carries a modifier for black coats. He may carry a creeping tan gene which may explain the fading black on his forarms and "growing" area of tan (if you look carefully in the pic you can see it).

Christine Kemper has a good article on her blog explaining the difference:

Throw the Ball!: SADDLES AND BICOLORS

Attachments

·
Registered
31,100 Posts
Melanistic black and tan blanket back.

Melanistic means there is a lot of black. His black extends from his head to his body almost unbroken. There is very little tan on his face, chest and ears.

No, the two terms are not interchangeable. And he is REALLY handsome!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Agreed, melanistic B&T. Not a bicolor. For example, my boy is a bi-color, which has black going down the front legs, penciling on the toes, and black "tar-heels" on the hocks of the dog. There is also minimal tan anywhere on the upper body of the dog, just some blond hairs on the underbelly and his butt lol. Either way your dog is beautiful.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thank you all so much. That clears up my questions! And yes, I think he's pretty gorgeous too ? thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts