German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I set out to teach my dog to come in from the garage or backyard.
I would call him, and when he came in, I acted happy and would give him a treat.
This worked quite well for months.

Well, he decided that he should up his treat quantity! Now if the door to the garage is open, he goes out and stands right outside the door. Then he comes in and looks at me expectantly. Sometimes I laugh and give in, and give him a bit of cheese. Now he does it at the back door too! He indicates that he wants to go out...then he stands right outside the door, waits for about five minutes, and comes back in at a time while I am looking.

So I have trained him to do this bizarre behavior...without meaning to! I now have a dog that will go out, stand right outside the door, wait a few minutes, and come back in. He decided to skip the part where his owner calls him to come...I guess he thought, o yea, I know what she wants!

Now I am thinking how to “untrain” this...:grin2:

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
My doberman trained me on one thing, for sure.

At night, when she'd go outside for her last potty of the day, most of the time, she'd potty and come right back in. But occasionally, she'd key in on some wildlife out in the woods behind our house and lose her mind, barking and running along the fence line. Nothing would get her attention until I asked (very loudly) if she wanted a "treat". She'd stop in her tracks, turn, and dash back into the house like her nub was on fire. And of course, she'd get her treat. I never lied to my dog. :p

I'm not sure how long it was before the transition, but somewhere along the way, the barking and refusing to come in became much more deliberate, until it was almost a nightly ritual. For the sake of cranky neighbors...I stayed true to my training and did what she wanted me to do. LOL

Reactions: car2ner

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Uh Oh, I may be heading down that same trail. My boy dog is honestly stubborn coming in sometimes. It is his way of saying, "but we were having fun outside, can we stay out just a little longer?" My gal dog comes in pretty well. She comes in, I treat her and send her back out so she doesn't always assume coming in means no more games. I've also started playing two minute games with them when they come in promptly.

I have seen my gal come in, go out to the step and then come right back in again to receive another treat. It looks like I am no my way to becoming trained as well.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha ha! I am glad to have some company ?

This also made me realize that my dog can learn “sequences” of behavior...doing two or three chained actions to earn a reward, and that’s pretty cool! Er, will think of some better “sequences” for him to learn....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts