German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
My sister-in-law is a vet and she told me to never give my dog a cheap rawhide from WalMart or other bargain stores. She said they do not digest well and swell when moist. At the time she said she had to do 3 surgeries in a week because of intestinal blockage and each time the rawhide was the culprit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
I have two dogs and neither have been big fans of chewing. I think because when they were pups to even a few years old I discouraged them from chewing furniture and stuff around the house.

For fetching i've always used a field hockey ball. It is like an oversized tennis ball but hard solid rubber with no covering. It doesn't really bounce either. My GSD loves them and they are too large to swallow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
I just throw a rope away today. My new pup was playing with it when it came apart on her. It was amazing to see how much she managed to get into her mouth in such a short time with me standing less than a foot away on the otherside of the rope.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
my boy loves his ropes. He doesn't shred them, should I still be concerned?
If they aren't shredding or unraveling, I wouldn't be concerned. We still use ropes, but once they come untied or start to shred, then they go in the trash.

My point in posting this was to bring awareness to the dangers of rope toys when you have a hard chewer and aren't paying attention.

Moxy has long since passed (2017), and we now have a 2 year old knucklehead named Zoda. She and our Springer love playing tug with a rope. We found the "monkey fist" knotted rope has held up better than the standard ones.

Hope all your pooches are safe and well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Having worked in the veterinary field for many years, I tell everyone I know, do NOT give your dogs the rope toys, or, the rawhide bones.

I've assisted in surgeries, where both of those had been injested and, had caused severe impactions in the intestines.

It's a very serious surgery.

I've also seen dogs choke to death on those things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thank you for that warning. It is time to go through all of our toys again and discard the frayed, chewed to a nub, and shredded toys. I will look fir better options when I go to the store. Do you have any you recommend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
The Kong toys are generally pretty safe, my dog has a small and large size Kong toy, they do seem to be indestructible.......although, I've had someone tell me her dog, a black lab, can destroy them in minutes ......I have never seen that happen, with any dog, as long as I've been around dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,109 Posts
One other thing to be aware of: TOWELS!! When a dog shreds a towel, it tends to come apart in long strings. These can cause the same problems as strands of rope, if the dog swallows them. I imagine knitted blankets would also be dangerous if your dog chews up its bedding.

Oh, and I heard it mentioned that Kongs are the best toys for heavy chewers, because they are virtually indestructible.
Nope. :rolleyes:

Have yet to find a toy that Star can't destroy. The Bad Cuz toys, which are made of heavy rubber, have the best life span, but first I have to remove the feet and horns, or she'll chew them off. Once she can get the squeaker out, she attacks the squeaker hole, and eventually manages to rip pieces off that. When that happens, the toy goes in the garbage, though she seems to have no trouble passing the pieces of rubber in her poop.

561519
 
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
Top