German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Moxy and Crow have this giant ball that has a tug o' war rope through the middle. After a year of playing with it, the rope frayed today. After picking up several pieces off the floor, I finally put the ball away.

Anyway, after playing with the rope for a while, Mox began licking her lips and chomping her jaws. I opened her mouth and pulled out a good foot of string that she had swallowed...and part of it was attached to her tooth, which kept her from swallowing it completely.

Please, be careful with these rope toys. Watch your dogs carefully. This ball is now in the trash. I am so glad Moxy is ok and didn't swallow the rope pieces.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
You got lucky!! Woolf did swallow pieces of the rope in his early life... barely escaped surgery but still left with huge vet bill.

We now have 1 rope toy that stays in the training bag to only be used as part of the never ending array of tugs to be used as rewards. Never leaves my sight.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine have eaten pieces alot smaller then yours and it comes out in their poop. Now they only have rope toys with supervision and once they start looking worn, in the garbage they go:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You got lucky!! Woolf did swallow pieces of the rope in his early life... barely escaped surgery but still left with huge vet bill.

We now have 1 rope toy that stays in the training bag to only be used as part of the never ending array of tugs to be used as rewards. Never leaves my sight.
That is scary! So glad I got it out. I usually catch stuff like that because I have an 8-month old who is just starting to crawl. Don't want him choking on it, either.

Glad your dog is ok, too!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Mine have eaten pieces alot smaller then yours and it comes out in their poop. Now they only have rope toys with supervision and once they start looking worn, in the garbage they go:)
I just tossed a worn one last week.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for posting this! I will go throw away my dog's frayed rope toys now.
You're welcome! I know now to toss them when they start fraying. Or just put them away when they start chewing on them.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My Lacy tries to fray the rope and pull the pieces of rope out and swallow them. Now the only rope toys I use are the ones that I've created flirt poles with. Big rubber Kongs are the only free choice toys I leave unattended.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, thank you for sharing! I thought those rope toys were pretty durable...
They gave us one when we brought Mox home from the pound. She chewed through it in less than a minute. I'm surprised the ball with the rope lasted as long as it did. I just didn't think she would swallow any of it.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Also beware pulling anything out of your dog that is in your dog like a rope toy or string (thinking cat) especially from the other end. Call/take the dog to the vet - there could be something wrapped around the GI system...and that can be bad.

Glad that all is well for Moxy!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Also beware pulling anything out of your dog that is in your dog like a rope toy or string (thinking cat) especially from the other end. Call/take the dog to the vet - there could be something wrapped around the GI system...and that can be bad.

OMG I've done this before! I am so lucky. I never even considered such a thing could happen :( Good advice.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thankfully, I caught it before it got too far into her digestive system. Not sure I have the stomach or stones to pull anything out of the back end.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Maybe this should be made into a sticky.

So many don't realize the issues this toy can create. The labels are always covered with all the feel good stuff like cleans the teeth, good exercise etc and nothing about the dangers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe this should be made into a sticky.

So many don't realize the issues this toy can create. The labels are always covered with all the feel good stuff like cleans the teeth, good exercise etc and nothing about the dangers.
I agree. I never thought about the dangers until I got a GSD...especially one who likes to destroy and obliterate her toys. I was told the black Kong toys and larger ball toys would be better for her since they are more durable. She will kill a tennis ball in 4 seconds flat. So, we have to really be careful about her toys.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I agree. I never thought about the dangers until I got a GSD...especially one who likes to destroy and obliterate her toys. I was told the black Kong toys and larger ball toys would be better for her since they are more durable. She will kill a tennis ball in 4 seconds flat. So, we have to really be careful about her toys.
FYI about tennis balls. Not good for their teeth, wears them down like sand paper. And at some point becomes to small and can be swallowed. It does happen.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts