German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has been discussed on here yet but lately, there are some psychotic sickos that are setting up pet traps to KILL animals. :cry:

Videos - INSIDE EDITION Investigates Animal Traps Set In Public Areas - InsideEdition.com

Please keep your eyes peeled and NEVER let your pet out of sight. This makes me so angry that idiots like this deserve to live. :mad:

I've never personally seen one of these traps, thank heavens. But my friend's brother's wife's pet (a 6 month old chocolate lab) sniffed around one of these traps and the trapped ended up snapping his neck. I was so disturbed, I cried for days even though it wasn't my dog.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
There is no hole that is deep enough for a person who would do this.:mad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hate those traps. Those are conibear traps- search for the name and there will be some information about how to release a dog from them. They are sometimes set in the opening of a bucket that has meat in the bottom of it, so that the animal puts it's head in the bucket and the traps snaps down on it's head. You cannot pull it off or pull the jaws apart, if you can't release the dog you just have to watch it die helplessly. You have to be able to compress the wires on either side so the jaws will open, I believe one of the ways was to wrap a leash on each one to give enough power to press the spring wires together. If you live in an area with traps, it would be well worth reviewing some of the information, although unless you are right with the dog, there isn't a lot of chance of getting the trap off them in time.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
My neighbors are Amish. They have trap lines out back. I was very afraid when Arwen was missing that she ran across a trap, so I asked them if they found a dog. But they hadn't. I was lucky to get her back, but trapping is allowed in lots of areas.

I had someone ask me if he could set traps on my property. And I told him yes, if he could access it, but he would probably have to get my neighbor's consent to get down there.

Hunting, fishing, and trapping are just a part of life. It sounds like the guy they were trying to chase down, was trying to trap fox. The thing is, the same kind of bait that would attract a fox would attract a dog. The same kind of trap that could trap or kill a fox, could trap or kill a dog. And when hunting wild things, you really do not want to leave a lot of human scent around to warn off critters.

People have to be really careful where they run their dogs off lead. And trappers need to trap where they have permission. Set traps properly, and follow all the laws.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's things like this that remind me that even the death penalty would be too nice to a person like that... I'm a pretty passive person, but if someone did this to my dog... calling my payback choices sick and twisted would probably be an understatement. ??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gosh this is a great thing to be aware of. I wonder if there is sort of a database that states have where they might set traps like this, or any traps. I honestly never thought about looking for anything like this when walking in the woods. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
The trapping seasons are listed here, in PA.

For all the laws and regs, I think you have to sign in to the portal, and to register you need to be a citizen, which I am not:
Laws & Regulations

·
Registered
31 Posts
here is a link on how to release a dog from a conibear trap- not sure if it can be done fast enough when your dog is dying in agony with one of these on his head...
How to Release Your Dog from a Conibear Trap. (it's drawings, no actual photos of a dog in the trap)

I found out about them in a thread about them on a hunting forum- the poster whose dog was killed stated they were only supposed to be used in water, but the one that got his dog was set in a bucket with meat scraps in the bottom.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
I've heard of them before. I think they should be illegal. But then, I am a dog owner, and not a trapper.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Wow, just wow, is it harsh of me to wish the person setting this trap trips and falls into it themself? I am not opposed to hunting, I get that it is a necesarry evil, but does it have to be cruel? why does an animal have to suffer an agonizing death ? If one of my dogs died this way my lifes ambition would be to terrorize the a-hole that set it for the rest of their life, they would wish they were in the trap instead of my dog.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Trapping is for the most part pretty cruel. This trap is designed to kill, and it sounds like it kills pretty quick. Most traps don't kill but the animal might be dead by the time the trapper comes to check the trap, and I believe they must check their lines every day.

Mouse traps, rat traps, they are also designed to kill. They do not always kill fast, but usually they do. It is yucky, but I am not against them at all.

It sounds like the yayhoo was trying to trap foxes. The question is, are the traps set illegally? If so, I hope they levy a huge fine on the guy. If not, it is up to pet owners to manage their pets in areas where trap lines are allowed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts