German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we're discussing legal/illegal collars in the other thread, I thought I'd mention this so no one is NQ'd for wearing illegal clothing.

At a rally trial today I had to take my sweatshirt off because it's from GSD nationals. It has a big picture of a GSD and says 2005 GSDCA National Specialty in small letters. Someone complained to the judge. I had a t-shirt on underneath so I went in the ring with that. If I didn't have a t-shirt, I would have just worn the sweatshirt inside out. It never crossed my mind that a souvenir from nationals was a club affiliation, especially since I've seen people wearing national specialty gear at trials. So back to plain turtlenecks for me.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Hmmm interesting. Doesn't surprise me. Just too many people in the world today that make a big deal of such things.

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
Good for you for a quick solution. It's always helpful to be able to solve questions like this with a quick accomodation rather than an argument with a judge.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
That's ridiculous Sandy!

By the way, how did you and Rio do at the trial today

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:By the way, how did you and Rio do at the trial today
Rio finished his RA and placed 3rd. Same results as the last trial, behind the Terv and Aussie. He did get a real pretty ribbon.

I don't think I'm going tomorrow because they wouldn't let me do a move-up
, and with the snow that's expected it's not worth driving 100 miles RT on backroads for a leg that doesn't count toward anything.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
They can sure get picky, can't they? I think the problem is that no judge wants to have anyone be able to say later "well, you're biased and you saw that she had on a GSD Nationals shirt and evidently you placed her higher because of that". People DO complain about things like that, unfortunately, and the judges get caught in the middle if they let things slide.

I used to judge 4-H horse shows and dog shows. I couldn't believe some of the complaints from parents. I still remember being raked over the coals because I gave a white ribbon to a girl who was a member of my own club because she just plain was sloppy in her showmanship class. She didn't pay attention to where the judge was, she didn't stack her horse well, etc. Her Mom told me "but you KNOW that she can do it!". It doesn't matter what I knew, it mattered what the girl did that particular day.

Trying to stay unbiased is a tough part of judging and those who don't do well often try to put the blame on the judge instead of on their own behavior. So I can understand why the judges often play it so strict when it comes to things that are visible to the public, like a logo on a shirt.

Congratulations on the new RA title! That sucks that they wouldn't let you move up. I'm with you, I wouldn't travel that distance in the snow for a non-leg.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
AKC rules are very specific in regards to wearing clothing with club logos or affiliations on them. It is a no-no. If the sweatshirt had just a GSD on it that would be fine but the GSDCA is what got you.

My show attire consists of polo shirts, blouses, vests, turtle necks etc with GSD embroidered on them and that is fine just don't put ypur club name on it or wear your club jacket.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
What about on show bags? I love the GSDCA luggage tags and was wanting to clip one on our bag (different color = different dog) - would that cause an issue?

I've heard of the clothing thing - but I still see it done. I've seen members of the sponsoring club wearing their club shirts/jackets at events.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It just applies to inside the ring. Here's the rule that's in the obedience regs, I don't know if it's in the rally regs (takes me forever with dial-up to look these things up).

"Section 10. Indentification. No viable means of identification (badges, ribbons, club jackets, etc.) may be worn or displayed by anyone exhibiting a dog in the ring."

I had heard about the club thing a long time ago too and forgot about it. But back then I had thought of it as a training club. But it's true that the GSDCA is a club.

Sooooo, since the AKC is a club, I guess that means you can't have any AKC logos in the ring!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
That would be correct. If you had an AKC Tshirt the same rule would apply. The judges are allowed the AKC logo on thier judges ID badge which they are required to wear. When you accept your ribbon you may have your logo on as you are no longer exhibiting.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ya know...this never crossed my mind until I read it here!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
That has been in the rules since I started showing 20 years ago. When I was getting ready to show my first GSD my instructor made sure I knew that. I don't think obedience instructors think about telling students that any more. But when we sign the entry the statement says we aknowledge that we understand the rules so we should make sure we read them periodically.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts