My GSD boy who is almost five years old is a ball obsessed dog. He had a ball, very firm, the size of tennis ball, and the texture of a kong and I would play fetch with him every day. Last month, during play, he swallowed this ball, and at first I did not notice what was going on, until he was trying to throw up and struggling to breath. We rushed him to the vet, driving 80mph, running the red lights as his body starting going limp, and his tongue turning gray, he was dying. Finally at the vet, he went under anesthesia in order to remove the ball from his throat. Luckily, as the vet explained, if we had not rushed him at that speed, and if the ball did not have a hole in the center, he would have died. My baby had a second chance in life. I look at him everyday and tell him how thankful I am that he is alive. Please all that read this post, be careful with what your dog plays with. I would have never, ever guessed something like that would happen while playing fetch with a ball that size.