German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I am feeding my dog grain free ( expensive ) food, her poops are MUCH less in frequency and volume. Now I am wondering if she is getting enough roughage and is a high-protein, low-carb diet really the best for her.
Yes, it's Orijen.

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
Her body is using what it needs and there is less waste because there is less garbage in the food.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand what you are saying, I am just concerned that her system gets enough roughage.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Much better for her, when I eat White Castle's or McDonalds I'll use the bathroom right away too. ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would just watch her weight and coat. Also stool quality. If you want you can always through in some raw. And less poop I feel is always better. Because as was said earlier her body is absorbing more nutrients so there is less waste.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Less poop is also better when you have to pick it up daily!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still thinking that roughage is good for dogs as it is for us. Since going to the Orijen, she is more interested in eating grass, perhaps she agrees with me. She never ate grass before. Her vet check says she is in perfect health.

·
Registered
31,970 Posts
If you think she needs more fiber, give her a bit of pumpkin. Blueberries, zucchini are good too. Just make sure that any veges/fruit given are processed somehow as dogs can't break down the cell walls of veges/fruit.

They do not need grains if that is what you mean by roughage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too have just switched to a food with NO fillers, they now get 1 cup less, TP (Turd Patrol) is easier, and they seem to love it the food.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Much better for her, when I eat White Castle's or McDonalds I'll use the bathroom right away too. ;)
OMG, funny story..... my friend Josh wanted to try White Castle for the first time so he made me drive him there. My sister and I warned him that within a half hour YOU HAVE TO GO :poop: he didn't care, he rolled his eyes. About 15 minutes later he yells "We have to go home RIGHT NOW! Turn the car around I need to get home!" His face was bright red.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OMG, funny story..... my friend Josh wanted to try White Castle for the first time so he made me drive him there. My sister and I warned him that within a half hour YOU HAVE TO GO :poop: he didn't care, he rolled his eyes. About 15 minutes later he yells "We have to go home RIGHT NOW! Turn the car around I need to get home!" His face was bright red.
thats is what I refer to as a snoe......Sh*$ Now Or Else......
:crazy:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I grew up with White Castle burgers, I was born in Brooklyn, NY. I occasionally get a craving, maybe 1x a year, have to have 5.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad I started this, it is so informational. Is that a word?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts