German Shepherds Forum banner

Better Car Show Experience

635 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bigd3077 
#1 ·
Mods, wasn't sure whether or not to put it under "Brags" or "Stories", please move if needed :D

So this past Sunday I went to another Volkswagen/BMW car show about an hour and a half away from home and I was pleasantly surprised this time to see other people there with bigger dogs this time (Shelties/Greyhounds/Golden Retriever) :D People seemed to receive Gunther much better this time around. People even asked to pet him and he licked them all. We were standing near one person and Gunther ended up licking a guy's leg and he was like "You licked my leg and I don't even know you :D" and gave him lots of pets haha I of course apologized for Gunther licking him (he was totally fine with it thankfully).

He did really well once he adjusted to the craziness that is a car show. One person though asked if he was a Belgian Shepherd and that has been closest anyone has been to guessing his breed without asking if he was mixed :rolleyes:

I was proud to say he did really really well with all the little kids there. They all asked to pet him and after studying Gunther's behavior and comfort level with everything going on I dubbed it safe for a little petting :) yet again, more kisses for the little kids but only on their hands which was good. Oh and it was only like 1 kid every couple minutes as we were walking around so he didn't get bombarded :)

I was also very proud of him for holding ALL of his sit/stays until I gave him the break word when we started to walk again. :D Training is paying off!

There were a couple people though that avoided me. They would look at Gunther than at me (all 5'2" of me) and just back away or go a different way entirely haha. It was kinda funny and my husband was like..."he's a good deterrent so you don't get hit on" :p I'm fine with people avoiding me because I am a stranger with a big "scary" dog and I'd rather them not do anything to my puppy (haha 10 month old puppy :p)

Anyway it was just a good experience and a good training experience for Gunther too. :) Spring/Summer/Fall are all car show seasons for my husband and I so it's good to see Gunther behaving in these situations. :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like fun! I took mine to a car show two weeks ago as well and she did great. She is very friendly but I prefer if people ask if they can pet her. I had a young girl run up and bear hug her to which my dog didn't react but I told her she needs to ask people with dogs if it is ok to pet. The Mom didn't say much. I wouldn't let my kids run up and pet any dog that I didn't know..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.