German Shepherds Forum banner

best x pen? Do I get two? good lightweight x pens?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  WiscTiger 
#1 ·
good morning all,
I will soon (within a year) be a first time pup raiser. Honestly, I'm not in this for the cute puppy phase, rather for the awesome dog she will become. However I realize since I've only adopted older rescues that i;'m lacking certain equipment needed to successfully raise a pup.

What is the best kind of x pen to use? Should I get one heavy duty metal one (I like the panelized drop pin design for ease of storage) and a lighter one to take when we travel?

I plan on building a small chain link enclosure within my fenced yard for times when I can't supervise her outside (doing yard work, cleaning up, frisbee/ball/tug with other dog, cooking on grill etc.) but I'm kind of clueless one the portable x pens.

I am currently compiling a list of things to purchase long before pup arrives here, as well as collecting some things already. Any advice on the matter would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I LOVE my x-pens. Make sure the one you get you can lean over it to pick up the puppy (especially with the drop-pin type). I prefer the accordian type - where you just have to secure one place. They fold flat and are quicker to set up.

#3 ·
I agree with Lauri and I now have three. I had two set up in a kennel area in the garage and used to take one for different shows.

Adding a new puppy this week, I wanted one for inside the house. This time I got one with a built-in door which will make it easier for access when we are out at shows/events and have a cover on top. I like the 36" tall ones.

#6 ·
LOL. My tiny 6" high 10 week old beagle puppy just climbed out of the 36" high x-pen tonight (I've had her 1 1/2 weeks). I also have the 4 foot high one that I used for my GSD. I think I'll be using the shorter pen's panels as a lid.

Based on this experience, I recommend the taller x-pen. My GSD never climbed out of his pen.

#7 ·
I use 48" X-pens for my dogs. We also use 30" x-pens for the Corgis. They all have doors on them. When you use the taller x-pens make sure you stake the panels down well so they don't tip over on the puppy when he/she jumps up on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.