German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jack's mom was 76lbs and his dad 110lbs. He is almost 4 months and 25lbs. He has huge ears but our vet and trainer said according to his paw size at his age he wont get all that big. Others have said he will get quite big.

Here is a current pic:

Mobile Photobucket

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Not sure, but my female is 3 months and 30 pounds so he does seem on the smaller side...for now :p Just wait and see, I'm not sure how to determine either but if anyone knows I'd be interested to hear!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I don't know how to tell. Everyone keeps telling me my dog is going to be very large. At 4 months he was 37 pounds. He is 4 1/2 months in this picture and 43 pounds. I just figure I'll wait and see. He'll grow to how he's suppose to be. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I've always been told you can guesstimate the adult size by knowing their parents size. Females will usually tend to be closer to their moms size and vice versa with males. Shasta's mom was about 65 lbs and her dad was about 100lbs. Shasta weighs in at 75lbs at almost 3 years old.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Your pup is adorable. Those hears are crazy big. My dog was only 25 lbs at 4 months. I am not sure of his weight now at 5 1/2 months. But I THINK about 40. He seems to have grown a lot in this last month. Your pup may hit a growth spurt and shoot up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
120 Posts
Those are some awesome funky puppy ears! I've read that the paw thing is kind of an old wives tail. You cant really estimate a dogs size by his paws as a pup. Also, I've heard that a decently accurate way to tell is to double their weight at 4 months old. But that only puts your pup at 50lbs as an adult and that seems HIGHLY unlikely.

I also heard, that its all bologna, dogs grow at different rates and you dont know how big he/she will be until he/she is an adult. Thats pretty much the concept I've subscribed to. lol.

My guess is, your pup will be a later bloomer...you're probably about to hit HUGE growth spurt, so be prepared to buy a new collar/harness/pack or whatever you might have for him.

Huter was only 9lbs at 8 weeks old which is pretty small. Now he's 4.5 months old and 53lbs. He's been both above and below the "average" multiple times since I got him. lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am not sure how to tell. I thought my female was going to be on the smaller side, and is ending up being kinda on the larger side, I to get told that she's going to be big for a female. So you'll just have to wait and see, But i think this coming month he is going to hit a huge growth spurt. That was about the age mine hit it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts