German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my dog go through her CGC test and she did pass with station #10 though being her weak station. #10 is where you leave your dog and get out of sight for three minutes. The dog is supposed to remain calm and stay with the helper. The helper told me Ruby did fine for about two minutes and then barked a couple times and looked a little restless. She didn't get out of control so she passed that station but was marginal. I have noticed this myself at other times when I left her with someone for a while I had to do something without the dog.

What training should I do to make her calmer and more confident when I have to leave her with a stranger? Thanks.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. Can you leave her in a crate for 3 mins? Or in a down/stay and walk to another room out of sight? That's how I practiced it. Being in a class where we practiced it each week was also a great benefit but you could take her to the vet's office and have them help out or go to Petsmart and have the trainer hold onto her for a few minutes, things like that.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I tell Jax "see ya later" which seems to mean to her that she is not going but I'll be back. I don't make a big deal out of it. But...practice, practice, practice. :) There were times I would leave Jax with someone and she would scream the entire time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Practice, practice, practice. Can you leave her in a crate for 3 mins? Or in a down/stay and walk to another room out of sight? That's how I practiced it. Being in a class where we practiced it each week was also a great benefit but you could take her to the vet's office and have them help out or go to Petsmart and have the trainer hold onto her for a few minutes, things like that.
She stays in her crate without a complaint all day (6-8 hours) and I have done the down stay going to another room for two minutes and she does that well. When I was in Ob class we never got to the point as a class where we were leaving the dogs. Seems that with her it's situation specific meaning she knows that crated I'll be back and the down stay is at home so no issue there. Outside of the house and leaving her is where the problem arises.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Honestly, I much rather have a dog that misses me instead of a dog that doesn't even care I am gone.

I trained that with one of my dogs to the point where she got waaaay too independent. I like it when they are attached to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts