German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, one of my favorite hobby is to walk other people's dogs. So made business cards to obtain more dogs to walk and hopefully some strong and big ones. I hand out the cards to people letting them know I can walk their dogs. Some peoples dogs i can walk whenever i want. Need to have more of that. I think if more people experience me walking their dogs in one peace like most of the time I can get more "walking dogs whenever I want".

Today I was at the dog park met a gorgeous import Germany German shepherd West lines. We were playing for 1/2-45 minutes! He is so awesome I asked the owner politely if we can get to know each other more. He asked for a card, unfortunately I forgot mine and the ones at the bulletin board were out. :( The last one at the bulletin board I gave it to somebody else with another GS who I see once in a while. Instead, I asked for a number exchange which he said, "I rather not". I am really eager to walk and get to know more of this cool long hair GS. We had a really wild fun time playing. How can I convince more people to walk or exchange numbers in a way that would be comfortable? I did my best, but went a little too fast. Somethings never change...

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
With how common dog theft is today, I would be very, very put off by someone asking to walk my dog. They offered to take your card to be polite. I don't really think there is any way someone could approach me about walking my dogs that would make me feel comfortable. Let the people who need and want dog walkers come to you.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
With how common dog theft is today, I would be very, very put off by someone asking to walk my dog. They offered to take your card to be polite. I don't really think there is any way someone could approach me about walking my dogs that would make me feel comfortable. Let the people who need and want dog walkers come to you.

I agree. Dog theft is a serious problem now and unless I know you really well and trust you 120%, it's just not going to happen unless you're a legit business with positive referrals and insured and bonded. I used to walk and play with the neighbors dog(s) as a kid but dog theft wasn't a problem and the owners knew my parents really well. Mind you, I'm 27 so I'm not as old and that last sentence made me sound, but still.

Those who do allow you to walk their dogs currently, why don't you ask them if they'd be willing to write letters of recommendation for you to keep on hand. Also, tip, never forget to carry business cards with you. If I had been in his position, I'd have said no as well because it's a little fishy.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I would never steal dogs.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. Dog theft is a serious problem now and unless I know you really well and trust you 120%, it's just not going to happen unless you're a legit business with positive referrals and insured and bonded. I used to walk and play with the neighbors dog(s) as a kid but dog theft wasn't a problem and the owners knew my parents really well. Mind you, I'm 27 so I'm not as old and that last sentence made me sound, but still.

Those who do allow you to walk their dogs currently, why don't you ask them if they'd be willing to write letters of recommendation for you to keep on hand. Also, tip, never forget to carry business cards with you. If I had been in his position, I'd have said no as well because it's a little fishy.
I have a lot of positive referrals who really trust mr with their dogs. Hence, we go on hikes just me and the dogs independently.

·
Super Moderator
2,810 Posts
You can come walk Fama, but you have to sign a waiver :D

If you really want to do this professionally, you have to approach it like a business. Form a LLC, insured, bonded with referrals. You should build a customer base that respects your abilities and professional nature. Word of mouth will grow your business if you are doing it right.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I would never steal dogs.
Nobody is saying you would. The comment was just pointing out that strangers don't know that. Remember, responsible pet owners are protective of their pets, same as you would be. Try and get established with a few local vets, volunteering and such. Once local professionals see you acting responsibly, they may refer you to clients of theirs.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
I would say walk neighborhoods and listen for constantly barking dogs ask friends if they know dogs that bark, bark, bark all the time! Those are going to be people that "don't "walk there dogs! They might not give a crap either but maybe they would!

For me, my guys aren't going anywhere without me. :)

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Nobody is saying you would. The comment was just pointing out that strangers don't know that. Remember, responsible pet owners are protective of their pets, same as you would be. Try and get established with a few local vets, volunteering and such. Once local professionals see you acting responsibly, they may refer you to clients of theirs.

:thumbsup: that's EXACTLY what I was saying. Strangers don't know you, don't know that you wouldn't steal dogs. A person (anyone, not just you) coming up to me and asking to walk my dogs would raise red flags, simply because that's today's climate.... Especially if I was already somewhere actively doing something with my dogs. People who NEED dog walkers will ask vets, etc- so work on building a rapport with the people who could pass your name along :)

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
You can come walk Fama, but you have to sign a waiver
LMAO good one..

I agree with the others,,if someone I didn't know asked me this in the setting you describe, I would also say no.

And I also agree you have to approach it like a business...If you dont have insurance I would not be taking on other peoples dogs..You do realize IF you were out walking Fido, Fido got into a fight with another dog, bit a person, YOU are liable for it..You could lose everything you own and then some.

I was a dog sitter/walker, for many years, and if I were going to "hire" someone or ask them to walk my dog, they better be REAL experienced with german shepherds and be REAL experienced on knowing what to do and not to do if a fight ensued.

No experience , no walky my dog.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I met a man in the woods walking about 5, we had some small talk, he told me that he was retired and now walked dogs and gave me his card. If someone randomly asked to walked my dog I would be put off, hin saying "rather not" is a polite way of saying he doesnt know you, so no. Try throwing an ad in the paper.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
From 10-14 years old I used to walk the dogs in my dad's condo complex. I walked Rottweilers, Cocker Spaniels, Shiba Inus. Golden Retrievers, a Newfie, Labs and mixed breed dogs. I walked between 2-6 dogs a day and they each gave me $5. I would take the dog for 20-40 minutes and play with it and try to teach them tricks. It was awesome back then but now as an adult looking at it I find it kind of alarming. I was just a kid and they trusted me with their dogs, if those dogs wanted to get away from me they easily could have overpowered me.

I also went into people's houses to play with their other animals, I didn't even know these people, my dad didn't even know those people and I would spend hours hanging out at their houses with grown men. What the heck?! I would never allow my child to do it but there I was!

I could NEVER let a kid walk my dog, I could NEVER let another person walk my dog unless it was a close friend, family member or their daddy. I can't even let Sin's daddy take him overnight. I am getting anxiety just thinking about all of this.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My dogs are like my children, if someone I didn't know asked to babysit my kids it would be uh, NO! Same with my dog. If you want to start a business, advertise! Create a website, name, LLC, and have a lot of references!!!! Dogs are more than just a dog to people they are family and I won't leave my kids or dogs to just anyone. I must be guaranteed they are safe and the person is qualified to care for my pets.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
This is what I meant. Strangers don't know you. I had some kids at our last duty station come knock on my door asking if they could play with my dogs. I'd never seen these kids before in the entire time we'd lived there 3+ years and they were asking if my dogs could go out with them. Sorry, strange children I've never met. I don't know you, I've never seen you before, it's not going to happen. It was very strange. I never saw them again after that either.

You have to try and see it from the owners point of view.

·
Registered
556 Posts
To the OP:
Aren't you supposed to chill with your friends (loosely quoting) instead of starting these mundane posts on the internet?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I constantly see people posting posters or walking door to door advertising dog walks in my area from kids anywhere between 8-16 years old. Sorry but I agree, noone not even my family walk my dogs without earning my trust and listening to instructions.

With the way the world is now, the chances of them, my dogs, or the general public getting hurt and sueing me or a theft happening it's just not worth it. If I was looking for a walker I would look for a professional who's bonded and has multiple references that are glowing.

Talk to local vets and trainers and establish a relationship with them, if they hear of someone looking then they can recommend you. That's the best way to grow your business and get good clients.

Also make yourself stand out from the crowd, take classes that specialize in behaviour or obedience and once you've passed add that onto your card. It'll perk people's interest and give you valuable experience

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
You can come walk Fama, but you have to sign a waiver :D
LOL! Many years ago I shared a home with my two sisters, and at that time we were in a not-so-nice neighborhood, drugs etc. I had just purchased a GSDx puppy. We lived next to an empty lot people walked across to get to the neighborhood store. One day one of the regulars was walking past and stopped when he saw me out with the puppy.

"That's a bad puppy you got there," he told me. "The first time he's outside alone, I'm over the fence and I got him! I'm just letting you know."

I told him that if he found him out alone (never!), he could get him.

About 10 months later, I saw the same guy one day, and he stopped to chat again. My boy stared at him, nearly 100 lbs. now, fixed 'that look' on him.

"He turned out beautiful," the guy said.

"You still want him?" I asked, grinning. "I'll go inside..."

He looked at my boy watching his every move, the hair starting to raise on his back. The guy laughed. "Noooo, that's okay. He's yours now."

I agree with everyone else--someone I don't know asking to walk my dogs? Never.

Susan

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
There is a market for this. I do agree with approaching this like a business - be professional.

Now - my husband is more than capable of handling by boy without me but it still makes me antsy :rolleyes: - that's just me. So, someone like me would not be a potential customer. But there are some dog owners who use a dog walking service.

Word of mouth is key. For most services that I have hired someone for has been word of mouth by someone else who had a good experience.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.