German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For personal reasons I have chosen not to spay Sheba until she is a year old, as a vet tech I know the risks and the precautions I will need to take when she goes into her first heat.
With that being said here is my concern. I live in a great neighborhood, just moved 3 months ago from the bottom of the street now to the top, that's how much we enjoy it here. All yards are fenced, each tied into the next meaning the left side of my fence actually belongs to my neighbor. He has 3 Pit bull terriors for breeding 2 intact males and a female. All live chained to their dog houses. When we first moved in he had a semi agressive male attached to the dog house next to the fence, after a few times of the Dachshunds being lunged at my DH asked if he could move the dog away from the fence line, instead he shortened the chain from 6 ft to 4, until the dog tried to eat his way out of the back of the fence, he then swapped it out with the nicer of the two males.

Now Sheba is 7 months old, should be going into heat fairly soon, and during that time I plan on keeping her leashed in the yard when out and only out long enough to potty. My concern is this driving his intact males insane, what is the best way to approach him and any suggestions, I just don't want a 65lb dog coming over the fence at me while I am out with her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess you could let him know your concerns, hopefully he is a good neighbor and he will understand your concerns. If he isn't, you might have your hands full. I know this probally doesn't help but I don't know your neighbor

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Chlorophyll is a great way to reduce the odor of a female in season. Depending on how strong they are (I get mine at the health food store) you would give one or two a day from the time she first starts bleeding until four weeks later. It won't fix the problem, but it may make it better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well there's not a lot you can do about it if he insists on keeping his dogs outside like that. You or your neighbor could invest in a small outdoor dog kennel, that way you would know Sheba is secure, or you could install or ask for him to install and electric hotwire, though with a female in heat, I'm not sure if that would even phase the male dogs.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I guess I'm confused ... I'm not sure what you want to say to your neighbor? He has his dogs chained to a dog house enclosed by a fenced in yard, what else do you want him to do?

I agree with Kroush that if you're concerned, getting Sheba a stand-alone kennel might be a good idea.

·
Registered
669 Posts
It sounds that your neighbor has done all that he can from a legal stand point. The responcibility rests on you now. I'm sure tho, as a vet tech, you know how male dogs can be around a female in heat. I'm sure there will be increased barking and howling, and many attempts by the males to get to your female. Don't be surprised if the males hurt themselves and damage the property around them to try to get to your female. I've seen it many times. Sounds like you are gonna have your hands full. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
It is always good to be prepared, but I do not think you should be anticipating issues that might not exist.

Take her out, let her potty, take her in. Let him worry about his dogs. If they bark or howl, oh well, that phase only lasts days, maybe a little more than a week. Then it quiets down. When I had my breeding males, I did not have any of those problems.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
build a big fenced in run for your dog.
if need be have the top of the run
closed/fenced also there's chance
of a dog getting in or your dog getting out.

make sure you secure it so your dog can't dig out
of it (or another dog digging in).

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I will face this sometime in the future (10 mo female). I intend to be out with my pup when she is out during this period. Yes it will be a PIA but better that than more puppies! Fortunately for me her golden lab boyfriend next door has been neutered.

Now, however, as an owner with an intact female, this is your responsibility. Where I lived in Wyoming, if a loose male was hanging around a female in heat, both owners were fined for not properly containing their dogs (at least that is what I was told by someone with a problem.) All in all, I would not plan on kenneling her or tying her out alone.

Check back in a few months and see how I do!!
;)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I would just explain to him that your female will be coming into heat and he should be aware, and also that you will give him a heads up when she does. I don't think there is much else he can do with his dogs.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I don't think your neighbor is required or should be required to do anything else. His dogs are already contained in a fenced-in yard and, on top of that, chained to dog houses. (Which, in my opinion, is a crappy way for dogs to live, but that's not the subject at hand.)

If you are really worried about his dogs while your dog is in heat, your options are pretty limited and, for the most part, have been suggested - build a kennel run separately in your yard, or be outside with her. Alternatively, you can also leash her and walk her for exercise and potty time, starting in front of your home.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Alternatively, you can get pads/diapers/bond strap for Sheba. Now, they won't be foolproof, but it is better than nothing if you can't invest in a kennel.

You can purchase them online or at petsmart

Deeogee's Pet Store Dog Panties / Dog Diapers
eBay - dog diapers dog diaper in heat dog panties dog incontinence, Similar items search

You can also buy adult diapers to fit on her and cut a hole for her tail if you want a cheaper solution.

Also, they carry dog contraceptive pills, though I can't vouch for how effective they are.

http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Birth_Control_Pills_for_Dogs
http://dogtime.com/birth-control-faq-osborne.html

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
Um, what does that have to do with the neighbor's dogs. That will eliminate some of the spots around the house. I do not think it will stop her from being attractive to them. I have them and use them, but not outside when they are pottying. And they will NOT stop an unwanted pregnancy. Dogs can and will removed them and get the job done.

I can leave a female in my house with a diaper all day with no problems, but a dog would get that bad baby off in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The neighbor can do whatever they please and already have their dogs restrained, so now it's more on her part to take preventative measures. No, like I said, they aren't foolproof. But it is better than nothing. (Even if barely). There are also the birth control options if a kennel or the other options just aren't practical.

Just brainstorming is all, exhausting all options.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
Are we afraid the pits will chew through the chain, the fence, and the wall of her house to get to her bitch, and will not get through a doggy diaper?

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
I would be concerned that the neighbor's dogs might get aggressive towards each other because of the proximity of a female in heat.
That is the neighbor's problem. He is a breeder, it is up to him to deal with his dogs. He probably has it under control.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
From what I understand....his dogs are leashed and shouldn't come into your yard. Make sure your dog is far from his dogs or keep her into some kind of outdoor large "crate". Just advise him your girl is going to have her first heats....I'm sure he is not interested that his pure breed male do things with your girl..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts