German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading up to the cottage in 3 weeks and am looking for a toy that floats, is easy to throw in the water and will also not get too sandy. Rafi loves to fetch toys out of the water but he also likes to do this:

Any ideas? I found this one and it looked fun but wouldn't be popular as a sand toy: http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/produ...0439&dept_id=67

Maybe I should just buy him another soft covered nerf? This one got ripped to shreds last summer.

ETA: I don't think I can find that kind of football anymore. It's at least 10 years old.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
What about the good old squeeky balls? Lucy can't go anywhere without her squeeky balls. It's by far her favorite toy. She'll tear at least one apart every week, so i keep at least 5 or 10 around the house at a time. They're so cheap at like a dollar or two each and you can toss them anywhere. If you lose one or if one gets lost, who cares because theyre so cheap. Just buy a couple. Perfect for the beach.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3207248

·
Registered
572 Posts
Our favorite toy for the beach is this: Chuckit amphibious flying ring

It's got sort of a woven nylon surface that is easy to rinse sand off of when you dip it in the water. It has a thick, hollow rubber ring underneath so it floats high in the water and therefore is much easier to see. I can wing it fairly far out into the water and Khyber just loves to swim after it. If I take a break from throwing, he will just carry it around while he runs back and forth along the shore playing in the waves!

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Katie's Bumpers

Any of them. They're pricey, but they're nearly indestructible (Camper, Meri and Zamboni together have barely put a dent in any of mine). I've had them over 3 years. All are still intact, which, with Camper, that's saying a lot. Actually, with Mer, that's saying a lot too.

Of all her bumpers, I like Super Sqwuggies the best. (The 15" are a a bit too long and 9" are a smidge too short)

They float. Bang them on a boulder and sand comes right out. Toss them in the wash with a load of jeans, and they come out clean. We take them to the beach. We took to the pool every week. Camper used them to play soccer. We use them for fetch. They sit in our yard during the winter, in the mud and snow, and they emerge as good as new when the sun comes out.

The only suggestion I have is that you may want to slice open the loop. We've had paws get caught in them 2-3 times in 3 yrs while running (usually while dribbling soccer balls) and once while swimming.

These are seriously, of all my kids' toys, one of my (and more importantly, their) top three. Yes, right up there with Cuz and soccer balls.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom Katie's Bumpers
Those bumpers look great, wish they'd been around when the Hooligans were allowed to play in water.

I used the el-cheapo plastic bumpers when I lived in Maryland and took the Hooligans swimming in the Pax River or Bay every weekend. I can't recall sand sticking to them, but maybe it did and I just ignored it??? The Hooligans, especially Echo, loved carrying them around at home too.

I've never purchased anything from this company, but these are similar to the ones I used to buy:
http://www.gundogsupply.com/-9645-.html
http://www.gundogsupply.com/sofknobplasd.html

Rafi's a handsome fellow - just love that picture!!!!

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
How about a Jolly Ball?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I use the the kong water wubba and also the H20 training dummy..I love them BOTH...My dogs swim a lot and I have found these to be the best for retrieving in the water..

The water wubba..

The H20..

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! I was secretly hoping there would be one toy that everyone was nuts about so I wouldn't have to make a decision!

Rafi has lots of Orbee balls and they do float but they also pick up sand when he shovels them around in the sand. I think I will go with one of those bumper thingies. Might have to visit the dreaded Petsmart with that 15% off coupon...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowThanks everyone! I was secretly hoping there would be one toy that everyone was nuts about so I wouldn't have to make a decision!

Rafi has lots of Orbee balls and they do float but they also pick up sand when he shovels them around in the sand. I think I will go with one of those bumper thingies. Might have to visit the dreaded Petsmart with that 15% off coupon...
To me and my dogs swim a lot (my labs are huge water retrievers) the wubba is a bit better for distance. If that does not matter to you though, the bumper is excellent also. Both are fairly cheap..:) Have fun!!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My little food supply place has the Katie's Bumpers that 3K9Mom recommended. They only had a 9 inch Sqwuggie but it looks like they come in 13 inch too which should be perfect for a game of tug! They are going to order some more and save one for Rafi. He immediately grabbed onto the Sqwuggie and started tugging so I think he'll like it.

http://www.katiesbumpers.com/

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I used tennis balls for a while, but my dogs bite one in half after about 5 chomps and then the ball sinks
So I had to bite the bullet and invest in real toys, lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts