German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier tonight my wife and I bought Maggie a prong collar, after a long debate between the head collar or a harness collar. Tried to put the Gentel Leader head collar on and fell right off. Basically didn't really want to mess with it so we went with the tranning prong collar. Had it on in Pet Supply Plus she walked around for bit and a few light pulls she got the idea. So got home went for a evening walk, stoped at a house with 3 smaller dogs and bunch of young kids and a few adults. Let me tell you she was a perfect angel with those kids, she let pet them with no problems what so ever. Could have been there at least 30 min. or longer talking to the dad while the kids pet Maggie and she had no issues with them. She is such a peoples dog while out taking walks. I was so proud of her tonight. She did really good with the new collar. I think after a few more walks with it she might make it fun to walk with her again. Anyone know why she keeps laying on the grass every few houses? She never did that until a few weeks ago. She will stop and lay down for a few min. I need to bribe her with treats to keep going. Is this normal? I hope so. :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
She's probably just getting used to the pinch of the new prong collar! I have one of these for my Dobie/GS mix and it is the only thing that works! I was using a choker but was told that could cause serious bruising and damage to the larynx. After we switched to the prong collar my pup has been much easier to manage while on walks. Rarely ever gets pinched.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
237 Posts
Anyone know why she keeps laying on the grass every few houses? She never did that until a few weeks ago. She will stop and lay down for a few min. I need to bribe her with treats to keep going. Is this normal? I hope so. :confused:

Is it possible that she's hot and lying in the grass to try and cool off? I know it's been really hot up there in your area recently, and GSD's get warm very quickly because they are double coated. I would recommend you try and hose her down before your walk and take along a bottle of room temperature water for her to drink during the walk. See if that makes a difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts