German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Piggybacking off of the home vacuum thread...I was wondering what you all use to effectively vacuum out your vehicles!

Not only do I have the hair from two dogs to worry about, but living at the beach means I have sand. LOTS of sand. So really I need something powerful enough to suck out all the dog hairs that find their ways into all the crevices and fibers my truck has to offer, but something that can also handle the large amounts of sand.

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars and I don't need a LARGE vacuum (heck, 5 gallons is plenty IMO), but I need one that has at least 5HP (at least, from what I understand that is what I need). Every major home improvement store has their own version of a shop vac, but I know there are several other companies out there that offer portable vacuums. Maybe there isn't a huge difference between them, but if there is, I'd love to know where to start looking :D

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I just use the free vacuums at the car wash and spot clean everything else with a lint roller.
Nothin' fancy over here, lol.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol free? hehe I live in a tourist area. Nothing is free around here ;)

Actually I've used those vacuums, but their suction is aaaawful. I'm not sure if they are overused here or what. They get most of the sand, but dog hair is a whole 'nother story. :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Yeah, they don't get dog hair very well, but they get the leaves, sand, rocks... change... lol
That's why I use the lint roller. Takes a little longer, but hey - if it's free, I'm good with that. :)

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have a Metro Vac n Blo Sr mounted in my garage. Now I'm probably a bit more of a car nut than most around here, so this may not be the vacuum everyone wants. It mounts on the wall, has a 24' hose, a ridiculous 4hp motor and also can be switched over to a blower for cleaning out the garage or blowing up air mattresses, etc. Metro is the company that makes dryers and vacuums for dog grooming shops as well, so their products do very well against dog hair.
Here's a pic, it is mounted on the wall to the right of the workbench.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I use the same one I use in my house, the Dyson DC14. I clean my dog van once a week, sometimes more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have 4 year old Dyson that had a car care kit thrown in with it. It has a suction powered roller brush that worked pretty with getting GSD fur out..

·
Registered
96 Posts
$50 shop vac from home depot and a lint roller cleans my truck out just fine

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ridgid makes a great vac home depot has one 5hp 12 gal bucket great suction and turns in to a blower aswell for only $45 just have to wail till they come in not always in stock. I use the blower part when I wash my boy and dry him with it.

Dirt devil has ultra power hand held vac $38 google it! That has a roller like a reg house vac. i used to do auto detailing and that was the best that i found

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I just use the free vacuums at the car wash and spot clean everything else with a lint roller.
Nothin' fancy over here, lol.
You have FREE vacuums at the car wash!?!?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I use my Dyson.

·
Registered
18 Posts
LOL I just use my hairy dog car as an excuse not to drive any friends or family around and save gas that way. My car must have the worst fabric for dog hair because there is NO way I can get the dog hair out of my seats with my crappy vacuum. And no one else wants to ride in it besides myself and my dogs: works for me lol.

·
Registered
175 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts