German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received an ad for Consumer Reports in the mail. They rated various vacuums for pet hair efficiency, including the Black and Decker Pet Series Retriever (rated as fair). The best affordable vacuum for cleaning pet hair from carpets is the Hoover. I have a stick vacuum, Eureka Quick Up, and it is great but I have hard floors.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I have a hoover as well that is rated for carpet and hard flooring. Personally I don't think it really does a good enough job. Our next vacuum will be a shark since it's comparable to the Dyson but without the price tag.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I keep saying this but I love my Kenmore Canister vacuum. It picks up so much dog hair and I got a slightly upgraded one that came with a "pet attachment". It is a small device that still has rotating brushes that is perfect for couches and chairs. I also use that attachment when I vacuum out my car and it works wonders! It isn't cheap at ~$300 but it works so much better than the old $100 vacuum that I had before.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I remember the first time I used my dyson, it was right after using my kenmore, it picked up so much hair that the kenmore had left behind. Plus with the excellent service I have received from a Dyson, I'm a customer for life.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't know if it's the best but i have a Dyson DC 41. i think
it's a pet series. i find brushing 3 to 4 times a week helps. i
also spot sweep with the broom.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My mother loves her dyson, but fior half the price I love my shark. In reviews it compared very well with the dyson animal. I just love it. It's the best vacuum I've had.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I also am a Dyson fan although I've a hand held...I wish I could afford a regular Dyson vacuum.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a Simplicity upright vacuum. Will never go back to Dyson. Even though it's a bagged vacuum (I honestly think bagged is less mess). If you don't mind the extra cost of the bags, this is the BEST IMO. It has a lot of perks, too. Picks up just about anything like a dream and it's one of the few vacuums that are MADE IN AMERICA ;) I actually don't mind having to vacuum every single day...

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just bought a Shark "Rocket" on sale at Target for $120 - I wanted something cheap to use while I got my Dyson repaired. Well that thing kicks my Dyson's butt! I have a bunch of LLBean waterhog rugs throughout the house because my dog was slipping on the wood floors, and they have a waffle pattern - not easy to vacuum, but they can be hosed off. Anyway, the Shark was amazing at getting them spotless.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have an aerus electrolux canister vac, it was expensive, very expensive, but it has two motors, one in the canister and one on the actual vacuum which really makes it powerful. It has a 20 year warranty so I wont have to replace it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I ordered my first Dyson last night...a DC40 Animal. Here's hoping I love it! I'll let you know!

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I have a kirby, which does an amazing job, but I also just got this vacuum (arrived yesterday, haven't tried yet) b/c its bagless like a dyson so I'll use it for more day to day stuff, and the kirby for more thorough deep cleaning... kirby fills bags fast

Given the really high user rating (and people mention dog hair in reviews) and the hard to beat $75 price to my door, I got this Amazon.com: BISSELL CleanView with OnePass, 9595: Home & Kitchen

From a review "I bought this vacuum as a secondary machine for light duty in some rooms. Our primary vacuum is a 6-year-old Dyson that is still working like a champ. For what this vacuum is... it's a great deal. I'm not sure if you can find a better machine on the market for 80 bucks or less. Its cyclone is very rudimentary, but it does have decent suction and vacuums almost as well as our Dyson. The attachments are decent for a vacuum that costs less than a hundred bucks and its overall design and build quality is impressive for a machine in its class. Bissell has really stepped up their game with these newer machines."

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I have both a Shark Navigator and a Dyson Animal and I'd have to say they work just about equally well. The Dyson is heavier and feels more substantial. The power cords for each are too short, and the canisters are too small. Using the handheld attachments on either is difficult.

I knew before I got the fist bag less (the Shark) that I would hate emptying the canister, and I do. It's messy and disgusting, and I can no longer vacuum up spiders to dispose of them, as there's a chance of skin contact when emptying the canister, which ALWAYS requires me to stick my hand in there to pull out the hair, despite what the demonstrator tells you.

All that being said, I would go broke buying vacuum cleaner bags when the dogs are blowing coat.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have a Dyson and I'm always cleaning the brush part:( Today I ordered the Shark Professional Navigator(it came with a free hand held one that will be great for my stairs). I'll know shortly which works better. I'll have one upstairs and one downstairs.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Mine was a Christmas present but it says on the side Elite II cyclonic and I LOVE it. I was a Bissell user for years and thought they did a good job but this vacuum is awesome. It is all plastic so no filters to clean and I do not have to stick my hand into the container to empty it. We found it in a store and it retails for $300 so it is not cheap. And it is super light too which makes it easier to vacuum.
I've always wanted a dyson but I think I will have this one for a long time and it works great for me.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have the Dyson animal. It picks up hair and dust like a charm but leaves behind most solid bits (like a kibble). I find that annoying. The hand held piece (which I use a lot) is difficult and uncomfortable to use. I love it for its power to pick up hair but if I could find one just as powerful with an easy use hand held piece, I would be willing to switch.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
55 Posts
Kirby and Simplicity are a league above.

"BISSELL Spotbot Pet Handsfree Spot and Stain Cleaner" is a different and useful solution.

Personally, I don't understand the excitement about "bagless" technology. A full bag can reduce sucking power, but the same can be said about full bagless units. If you don't clean it often, it clogs and the money saving isn't worth the mess.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use a 6 gallon shop vac. We have no carpet down stairs. Ceramic tile or laminate flooring.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts