German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to get a new vacuum cleaner as the old one is beyond fixing at last. The dog hair is accumulating... I'm not looking to spend a whole lot- say less than $150- if that is reasonable (less would be better).

My dogs shed mostly in summer, when they also bring in a lot of mud after a run that turns to dirt. I have three large dogs (including the GSD- biggest shedder), all with medium length hair. The flooring is mainly hardwood, with some carpet on the stairs and in the living room area. It is a relatively small house- 900 square feet. It would be great if the vacuum had good attachments for the car as well.

What has worked for you? Suggestions?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't know if it's the best but we have a Dyson DC41 (animal).
i brush my dog 3 to 4 times a week and that helps a lot.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Dyson. Its more expensive, but by the time you replace other vacuum cleaners it comes out to be the same in the end and the Dyson is still going. Its got great suction. I vacuum the dogs with it to.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Another vote for a Dyson. Just got a DC41 animal complete off e-bay.....

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I prefer a bag vac, and my 8 year old 100 dollar top rated at the time boss smartvac is going strong. A dyson getting positive reviews is like a bmw getting good reviews- people dont want to admit they got ripped off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got the Bissell Lift Off Mutli Cyclonic that the above poster linked to. I remember they were the sponsor of "Puppy Bowl" on Animal Planet, and I had written it down, to buy it when my existing vacuum died. So far, I love it. We have two dogs and an undisclosed number of cats. The "roller" brushy thing on the upright part (I'm so technical) really picks up the hair better than any of my past vacuums did. Plus it has the hand held pet hair attachment, also with a roller in it. The rollers have rubber things instead of bristles, and they seem to really get the hair.
The lift-off option is really good for the stairs, and for sucking the hair off the furniture and curtains. It also seems to suck just as well on the hardwood floors as it does on the carpet. I have to empty it a lot, but I guess that's expected with so many pets, and I guess that means it's doing a good job.

My sister has a lot of pets (not as many as I do) and got an expensive Dyson and was very disappointed with its pet hair sucking ability. I'm always impressed by the Dyson commercials, and their innovative technology (I love my bladeless fan!) But Dyson doesn't seem to have really succeeded in the pet hair arena.

This Bissell was like $129.99, which is dirt cheap. Even if it lasts only 2 years (my average for plastic vacuums these days) I guess I'll get my money's worth. I really hate how vacuum cleaners these days are all plastic, and the parts break easily. If you want read more reviews, I recommend this site best vacuum for pet hair. But then again, the old-timer I have in the basement (a circa-1980 Oreck from Grandma) is heavy as ****.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I have a Hoover Windtunnel, paid $100 for it, but I have no carpet. Clean one fabric sofa every couple weeks, daily vacuuming. Works fine.
To me, if I'm buying a Dyson, I'm spending the extra and putting central in, for us, with no carpet, central is a waste, so in my mind is a Dyson. If I had carpet and couldn't afford central, I'd look for a used or refurbished Riccar.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Dyson. Not a rip off, great vacuum, and worth the money for sure, great company too, they stand behind there products.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I dont know what the greatness is about the dyson. I bought one and I dont feel that it did any better than any other vacuum. I now own a shark which is only ok at the pet hair and will need to be replaced very soon. I am very hard on vacuums... I use them almost everyday. We have guinea pig, gerbils dogs turtles etc... lots to vacuum.

This is the one I have... dont get it, it clogs often.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shark-Navigator-Lift-Away-Bagless-Upright-Vacuum-NV351/15528564?findingMethod=rr

I might up to the shark pro, I wont do dyson again... to expensive for little to no pay off.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I like the shark vacuum. It compares very well with the dyson for half the price. My old bissel pet vacuum I had to stop several times to unclog. The shark has not clogged up once since I've had it. It's the professional shark with the pet attachments.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Dyson. Not a rip off, great vacuum, and worth the money for sure, great company too, they stand behind there products.
Somebody drank the kool-aid lol.

Sorry I'm just teasing. I just thought it would be funny to say.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I got a Dyson Animal when they were on sale and got an additional discount because they were out and I took the floor model. I wouldn't pay $650 or whatever ridiculous they normally sell them for (not because it isn't the best vacuum ever, but because you can get them for less). Had it for 3 years, love it, constantly addressing it as 'my favorite appliance'.

Brushing regularly and feeding better quality food help, I think but with white carpet and a black dog the Dyson is a life saver.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love my Shark Navigator and iRobot Roomba 690

I have 2 dogs and 1 long hair cat. These vacuum cleaners are easy to use and get all the hair out of my area rug. Plus, I also use them for my carpets

·
Premium Member
439 Posts

I have 2 dogs and 1 long hair cat. These vacuum cleaners are easy to use and get all the hair out of my area rug. Plus, I also use them for my carpets
ditto on this one....

·
Registered
34 Posts
EyeVac stationary

I had trouble with the robot vacs - maybe because my house is sprawling and I had an older model or maybe the model was just crappy or maybe my dogs just shed too much. I currently use these stationary vacs ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RVMC58U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and love them. They hold a TON of hair. I use a wide dust mop and do a walk through and sweep the mound of hair to the vacuum and it cleans everything right up. For $100, it's a great option.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Wow, someone's got it in for Dysons and BMWs. Don't know why he/she felt the need to attack those of us who have owned either one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts