German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been through about 3 vacums now that have died because of the frequent use. I wanted to know what kind of vacum cleaners some of you use that can stand up to a lot of pet hair. My main issue is that there isn't enough suction to get the dog/cat hair up completely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bissell Cleanview Helix! Affordable bagless vacuum at around $79 that's really easy to empty. I've been using for the past 3 years for my shepherds. Great for picking up the hair. Rarely ever gets clogged, and if it does, very easy to clean out. Although I had to buy a replacement only because when I adopted my female pup, she chewed the cord in half when I left it out for a minute without supervision lol (unplugged of course) :)

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you get yours from?

Bissell Cleanview Helix! Affordable bagless vacuum at around $79 that's really easy to empty. I've been using for the past 3 years for my shepherds. Great for picking up the hair. Rarely ever gets clogged, and if it does, very easy to clean out. Although I had to buy a replacement only because when I adopted my female pup, she chewed the cord in half when I left it out for a minute without supervision lol (unplugged of course) :)

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Miele Capricorn! It costs as much as a small car or motorcylce, but is about the only thing we've found that will stand up to constant cleaning up after three GSDs!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I too have a Bissell. I have the rewind cleanview pet. Got it as a cheep temporary replacement when my Kenmore died (I was going to give it to my daughter and get a real one) but it has worked so well I haven't bothered to replace it.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i have a Bissel. it says it made for homes with pets.
it's 15 amps with a 15" wide brush. it's a cannister.
i don't see a model name on it. i think you need a more
heavy duty vacuum. i sweep the floors and i brush my
dog 3 to 4 times a week.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Dyson DC25. No GSD owner should be without one.
I'm in the process of looking for a good vacuum to. I was looking at the reviews and the Shark was considered comparable to Dyson, but half the price. I already have my pet hair attachment, I'm just waiting for that right vacuum to come along:)

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I have also had great results with mitigating shedding with a professional horse grooming vac. Large vac on wheels with a long hose and shed brush on the suction end. All the hair goes into a large storage tank underneath the vac. It used to look like a hair explosion in my backyard when I brushed all three. Has anyone else used these?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
We recently bought a shark after our last one died. We'll see how it holds up. Wasn't super happy with the last one, I think it was a bissell (might've been a dirt devil) but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Dyson Animal. Compared to my last vacuum, it is very lightweight, easy to use on the stairs. We also have cats, some long hair, cleans their cat condos well, use it to clean my car interior too. The only con about the Dyson is that the electrical cord is slightly shorter than my last vacuum, therefore I need to plug/unplug more frequently from room to room.

·
Registered
341 Posts
We had a Dyson Animal that was great for about a year and then it didn't pick up anything. I also thought it was very heavy.

Now I have an Oreck and after 3 years of constant use it works as well as it did the day we bought it. I love it!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
We've had a Dyson for about 5 or 6 years with our two Sams, the Persian and now the pup :)

I think it's the yellow/orange one. Dh does the vacuuming :eek:

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I have a Dyson DC14 Animal. I've looked into newer models and don't like any of them. These days they are engineering them smaller, the cord is shorter (LOVE the long cord), the canister is too small, the lighter it weighs the less it "sucks". Sometimes, more really is more! More weight = more suction. Bigger = more volume = not dumping the canister all the time. I like the longer cord, I can do each floor of my house and not have to move it, even go outside, down the walk and do my van with it plugged in. If my DC14 died I'd look for another one just the same. The one I have now has seen four dogs (3 GSDs one larger mutt with even MORE coat than a GSD) and 5 cats. The only thing I've had to pay to have done was I had the cord replaced recently. Nikon chewed it as a puppy and it finally wore through in those spots (so if I didn't splint the cord it would brown out). Otherwise all I do is wash the filter every few months and make sure there's not string stuck in the roller. I've used it for at least four years and typically vacuum every other day plus clean out my entire van once a week.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
I'm pretty impressed with the new Dyson Animal. Not sure what the model number is. They fixed the wand so it can be extended. Did a good job on my car. Plenty of suction even when it's full.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I compared the DC14 to the DC41. The DC14 has a larger waste canister, the cord length is the same (35"), the max. reach of the DC14 is about a foot longer than the DC41 (wand reach + cord), the DC14 is 1lb heavier, both use "root cyclone technology" and the washable filter, the DC14 is 250 air watts (suction) and the DC41 is 235 air watts. I think the main difference is the telescoping wand and the ball technology but as far as the basic specs, they are almost exactly the same with the older DC14 being slightly better in a few respects.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I currently have the Dyson Animal D17. My ex & I bought it after breaking several vacuums with three dogs & three cats.

It did really well for a while, but not so much the past year. Of course its now just past the 5yr warranty. I'm not spending that kind of money on a vacuum again though.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts