German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh the rollercoaster I ride on the path to respect...kaiser loves me, but he still doesn't respect me. While he is a total rockstar some days at training, the rest of the time he is more like the musician that only had a one hit wonder. I know, its not his fault. Its mine. We are back to crating, no toys, decreasing food at meals to try to get him to focus more on the things that I can provide (all good comes from me?). His drive for the frisbee is still off and on, and while he was never super food motivated we are going back to using food for positioning and focus work. Thing is, I can't find an amazing treat that he will do anything for. We've tried freeze dried salmon, lamb lung, all sorts of organic treats...he won't take hard crunchy treats...and I'm at a loss as to what to try next. He isn't a fan of hotdogs and cheese is iffy. I need the Best. Treat. Ever. Help!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Have you tried Wellness Wellbites?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Natural Balance food rolls aka dog crack :) These are kept just for training.

I use Turkey or Lamb for training in general.

I pull out the Duck and Potato for FA training. The Duck wins out over dogs and humans lol

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried Wellness Wellbites?
He won't touch them :(

Natural Balance food rolls aka dog crack :) These are kept just for training.

I use Turkey or Lamb for training in general.

I pull out the Duck and Potato for FA training. The Duck wins out over dogs and humans lol
I tried these with dakota and she turned her nose up at them so I never thought about trying them with kaiser. Ill give them a go.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I second Natural Balance rolls. My trainer recommended that I stick with beef as that seems to stay moist longest. Tucker will do anything for them, whether he is hungry or not. But try training on an empty stomach if he still isn't enthusiastic enough.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I tried these with dakota and she turned her nose up at them so I never thought about trying them with kaiser. Ill give them a go.

There are a couple of other brands available, Woolf did the same with those, turned his nose up. Amazing how they can make it so clear, they just are not going to touch it lol. The beef flavor in Natural Balance is treated the same way, nose turned up. Experiment using the smallest pkgs to begin with - I think about 6 oz?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I second Natural Balance rolls. My trainer recommended that I stick with beef as that seems to stay moist longest. Tucker will do anything for them, whether he is hungry or not. But try training on an empty stomach if he still isn't enthusiastic enough.

I always skip the meal before training but honestly sometimes its not enough. Hes a very doggy dog so oftentimes smelling the ground or watching other dogs trumps me.

Oh I forgot to add we have removed the pinch collar and he is definitely collar smart. Another reason we are going back to basics.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
take a look at your training technique. i like usuing praise, pets and hugs
as a reward. i use treats and praise but i slowly phase out the treats.
i'll give a treat everynow and then. i think a dog should perform on
command with praise. then at some point your dog should perform
without praise or a treat. i don't always praise my dog when he does
something at this point but my dog is 6 yrs old and trained.

your dog doesn't like treats. maybe your dog will perform
without treats. try training without treats but give lots
of praise.

i find training in short sessions works best for my dogs. each
session last 5 to 10 minutes in the begining. as dog progresses
i add on a 5 to 10 minutes more. i conduct many training sessions
during the course of a day. i train indoors and outside. i don't train
at home all of the time. i take my dogs many different places to train
so they have different distractions to work around. i add in distractions
slowly when training. i think it's to much for a pup to learn when
there's so many distractions around. i think most things are a distraction
to a pup. in the begining i like training indoors, in the back yard, around
the house, etc.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
take a look at your training technique. i like usuing praise, pets and hugs
as a reward. i use treats and praise but i slowly phase out the treats.
i'll give a treat everynow and then. i think a dog should perform on
command with praise. then at some point your dog should perform
without praise or a treat. i don't always praise my dog when he does
something at this point but my dog is 6 yrs old and trained.

your dog doesn't like treats. maybe your dog will perform
without treats. try training without treats but give lots
of praise.

i find training in short sessions works best for my dogs. each
session last 5 to 10 minutes in the begining. as dog progresses
i add on a 5 to 10 minutes more. i conduct many training sessions
during the course of a day. i train indoors and outside. i don't train
at home all of the time. i take my dogs many different places to train
so they have different distractions to work around. i add in distractions
slowly when training. i think it's to much for a pup to learn when
there's so many distractions around. i think most things are a distraction
to a pup. in the begining i like training indoors, in the back yard, around
the house, etc.
We already do all that. Hes not hugely praise based although he does sometimes respond well to it. Thing is I talk TOO much during training so now he really doesn't respond much at all to it.

At home, indoors, in the parking lot...he's a rockstar at focus and ob. On fields that have lots of doggy scents or in high traffic areas he isn't. The transition is what we are having trouble with.

So, being that he's 20.5 months old I think he still has a lot of maturing to do and my expecting too much too soon may have been too much for him. He will shut down if I ask too much of him so I think going back to basics may be what we need to do.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
start basic training again. if you need help find a trainer.
be consistent in your training. try training in short sessions
but train alot. keep your dog leashed and close to you when
training. train in the field and high traffic areas. stop yacking
his ears off, lol.

We already do all that. Hes not hugely praise based although he does sometimes respond well to it.

>>>>> Thing is I talk TOO much during training so now he really doesn't respond much at all to it. <<<<<

At home, indoors, in the parking lot...he's a rockstar at focus and ob.

>>>>> On fields that have lots of doggy scents or in high traffic areas he isn't. <<<<<

The transition is what we are having trouble with.

So, being that he's 20.5 months old I think he still has a lot of maturing to do and my expecting too much too soon may have been too much for him. He will shut down if I ask too much of him so I think going back to basics may be what we need to do.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Rainer had the same issue with not being very treat motivated. I had to basically teach him that treats were fun by tapping into his prey drive. I made food something he can chase pretty much...I think I saw something about that on Leerburg? Not sure, but it worked.

As for treats... have you tried Pup-Peroni? They have a few different flavors. All the dogs we train with love them. Also, Milo's Kitchen Chicken Meatballs are pretty good (also healthier than the Pup-Peroni, lol).

Edited to add: I do the too much talking thing too! I have to remind myself to shut up and not talk so much bc I'm pretty sure he tunes my voice out now because it's too "free" LOL

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Zoey is a little picky, she'll eat the wellness, but not very excitedly. Petco has a refrigerated food that's shaped into little deer/rabbit turd shapes, just the right size for treats. The product name is vitals, but I can't remember who makes it. They USA source though, I guess they wernt at one time. All mine love them,

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Zoey is a little picky, she'll eat the wellness, but not very excitedly. Petco has a refrigerated food that's shaped into little deer/rabbit turd shapes, just the right size for treats. The product name is vitals, but I can't remember who makes it. They USA source though, I guess they wernt at one time. All mine love them,
The name is freshpet. We were looking for something ready to go, home made would be best and we made some chicken liver treats they loved, but we don't always have time for those. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Boiled beef hearts, chicken thighs, fried chicken livers. Raw smelt, why not, they love it.

You want something with a body, a REAL odor to it.

Who wants to eat "dog food", yuck. Cheaper too, who wants to pay $10 for a bad of Wellbites when you can get 5lbs of chicken for the same price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts