German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an 8 week old girl. I found all my old puppy toys and the breeder sent a few but I haven't found one that she really likes. I guess maybe she is still a baby. Her breeder sent along several nylabones which she loves but she bit the head off of it. I don't think that is very safe for her! Any good suggestions?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Are you looking for toys to interact with or chews?

For chews I like bully sticks since they will last a puppy quite a while if you get the thicker 12". Benebones are also long lasting, but not edible.

For more interactive toys I like holee rollers, braided fleece tugs, Kongs, starmark balls, ball on a string, skineeez. I will have some toys I'll leave in my puppy's pen and then stuff I use for one on one interacts that I don't want my puppy to satiate on.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for chew toys. I will try the bully sticks. I have used them for all my dogs but I wasn't sure if they were okay for an 8 week old. I am transitioning her to a different dog food than what the breeder started her on and don't want to cause any tummy/poop issues if I can help it. I remember how long they used to last when the dogs were puppies. Now they last a very short time. lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have some interactive dog toys at home for the new member of the family. He enjoys playing fetch using ball and twigs. For chewing he has a Li'l squeak monkey and a bristle bone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
imo 'Kong' toys hold up the longest. Saint loved the squeaky toys but we couldn't find one that would last a week.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Raw soup bones that have the marrow in them. You can freeze them so the marrow lasts longer and they are not too large for a young pup. When the pup is larger you can use raw knuckle bones. They are harder to find in the grocery stores in my area. Many grocery stores and all the pet stores carry partially baked bones with some type of food coating on them and I don't recommend them because they can splinter due to being cooked. Depending on your pup, some will see the marrow bones as having a high value and you should test how your pup does when you go to take the bone away. If the pup growls, don't draw your hand back and simply quickly grab the bone. It is good for them to learn at an early age that there are thing that are yours when you want it rather than waiting until the dog is mature.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Small kong, Rope with a knot ( great for tug/ not great if they chew it) ball....definitely bully sticks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Literally a buddy would not replace bully sticks, chewy/ squicky toys... Lex will get distracted with those but in just a couple of minutes she’ll be back playing with Fozz.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts