German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am just wondering what you all think is the best age to start trialling your dog in obedience?

My GSD is 6 months old and I am thinking of starting trialling him in December/ January in the CCD (community companion dog here is Australia is the first title you can go for) He is very stable and has a lovely nature and I am thinking if he continues to improve he may be ready to go by then. I don't expect great things but thought why not.

People have told me though I shouldn't think of trialling him till he's at least 2.

Also wondering if anyone know of people who do private obedience trialling training in Sydney, so I can test my dog first before entering and learn some ring craft experience?

Thanks Candace.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Candace- I entered my GSD in her first trial last weekend (she is 1 yr) and she did much better than I expected...BUT there were definite draw backs for me having such a young dog. This is only my case, story and opinion but Sadie was very easily distracted and initially she was a bit stressed. Those would be my 2 concerns with such a young pup, but yours may have a much better attention span than my Sadie :) I would keep up the training and realistically enter when you're ready, just know your expectations. I knew Sadie and I weren't going to win I just thought of it as "we've gotta start somewhere". Whatever you decide good luck!! Keep us posted

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I don't expect to go fantastic on the first go I am sure my nerves will be shot but if he keeps going as well as he is now I think I will give it a go at the end of the year.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I start Rally training and trialing about 1 year old. Obedience trialing is whenever they are ready, of course. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts