German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Ok, so here's the follow up question. When is a gsd considered an adult? In my case I know nothing about Rafi's parents and I only know an approximate age. He is definitely still growing and has filled out considerably in the 4 months he's been with me.

Now I am thinking I should not be feeding grain free although I have been feeding it since he arrived!

I also have to say that in the long run we really don't know how the dogs will do on these high protein foods and that does make me nervous.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
So, are you saying that Rafi should be ok then if he is over a year (which I am sure of)? I've compensated by adding less calcium to his homemade food.

Yes, the grain free foods are relatively new. Of course people have been feeding raw a long time but those diets are lower in protein as I understand it (because of the water content). It's really only been the past 5 (?) years that there has been grain free kibble and only in the past 2 that lots of companies are coming out with it.

Chama has been on grain free kibble for 2 years now and I have to say her poops and overall digestion are better than they've ever been. But some dogs definitely can't handle the really high protein levels and others seem to do better on (good quality) grains.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Based on Rafi's growth I'm guessing he's at least 18 months old so I think we're safe. I will pass along this info to others though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts