German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7 month male that also has a retained testicle. So I know he will need to be fixed as it could cause cancer if left inside him. But when is the best time to? I've heard 6 months reduces cancer risk but increases hip dysplasia. I've also heard it stunts their growth. Waiting until 2 years I've heard is great for growth plates and reducing cancer risk as well. Being that he has a retained testicle I'm on the fence as to which one is best, I definitely want him to be able to continue to grow until he reaches adulthood. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,904 Posts
I would wait until his growth plates are closed. So between 18 and 24 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,919 Posts
You don't have to fully neuter him at all. You can have the retained one removed and keep the other one so he keeps his hormone levels. In the past I had a male like that; had the retained removed and he had a vasectomy on the one he kept to prevent siring puppies. Now I wouldn't even do the vasectomy as management to prevent mating is quite simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,497 Posts
We just had a vet check up today. I asked the vet about Max's retained testicle and she said the chances of getting testicular cancer is very very low with a retained testicle. I asked her if if she would be able to remove just the retained testicle. She had said that she would not be able to do that. She said that by removing the retained testicle would not decrease the chance of cancer. The vet said if the retained testicle was going to get cancer the testicle remaining would get it regardless if the retained testicle was removed or not. She did say the chance of getting testicular cancer in the retained testicle was really really low. So has anybody heard this before? I was planning not to neuter max but have the retained testicle removed now really not sure what to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,919 Posts
We just had a vet check up today. I asked the vet about Max's retained testicle and she said the chances of getting testicular cancer is very very low with a retained testicle. I asked her if if she would be able to remove just the retained testicle. She had said that she would not be able to do that. She said that by removing the retained testicle would not decrease the chance of cancer. The vet said if the retained testicle was going to get cancer the testicle remaining would get it regardless if the retained testicle was removed or not. She did say the chance of getting testicular cancer in the retained testicle was really really low. So has anybody heard this before? I was planning not to neuter max but have the retained testicle removed now really not sure what to do.
I would ask another vet who was willing to remove the retained one and leave the other one alone but maybe at a later age since there is no hurry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,497 Posts
We just had a vet check up today. I asked the vet about Max's retained testicle and she said the chances of getting testicular cancer is very very low with a retained testicle. I asked her if if she would be able to remove just the retained testicle. She had said that she would not be able to do that. She said that by removing the retained testicle would not decrease the chance of cancer. The vet said if the retained testicle was going to get cancer the testicle remaining would get it regardless if the retained testicle was removed or not. She did say the chance of getting testicular cancer in the retained testicle was really really low. So has anybody heard this before? I was planning not to neuter max but have the retained testicle removed now really not sure what to do.
I would ask another vet who was willing to remove the retained one and leave the other one alone but maybe at a later age since there is no hurry.
Thanks. Just thought it interesting as sounded if the slim chance cancer was to happen it would happen anyway if the retained testicle was removed. She said though cancer in the retained testicle was a very low risk. I have some time. there is another vet there that we usually see and get his feed back and see if he does it.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top