German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 19yr old Shiba has accidents sometimes when he does we use our spot bot and clean them up immediately. While I can no longer smell them I am sure that our new GSD will be able to and I want to prevent any marking, not to mention I dont want my house to stink. What does / has everyone used to get the smell out both to their own nose and their dogs? I dont want marking going on and I am sure there will be an accident or two which I want to get taken care of as well during the adjustment period. I heard using vinegar works? I dont know how that is possible since vinegar has such a strong odor as well. Suggestions please??

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Nature's Miracle is excellent and easily found

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Honestly there are a ton of products from Oxy action to natures miracle at the store, store or online. They are ranging from $1 to $20. Just advice for saving money. Before you grab an expensive bottle of enzyme remover, read the back main active ingredients, so far we noticed that they are pretty much all the same, just a fancy bottle gets a fancy price, the chemicals that are approved are the same. Thankfully my husband knows this stuff well and reads the small print vs a large catchy quote on the cover label! My latest cleaner is a $4 gallon size bottle from Big Lots...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Nature's Miracle is excellent and easily found
We tried this one too and it's mostly isopropyl alcohol. I think its very expensive for what the ingredients actually are and it says it's a stain remover, but there is nothing special about it for stains.

Ingredients:

Water, nature's enzymes, isopropyl alcohol, natural citrus scent.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly there are a ton of products from Oxy action to natures miracle at the store, store or online. They are ranging from $1 to $20. Just advice for saving money. Before you grab an expensive bottle of enzyme remover, read the back main active ingredients, so far we noticed that they are pretty much all the same, just a fancy bottle gets a fancy price, the chemicals that are approved are the same. Thankfully my husband knows this stuff well and reads the small print vs a large catchy quote on the cover label! My latest cleaner is a $4 gallon size bottle from Big Lots...
What is the ingredient I should be looking for to actually kill the enzymes?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I was using Triple Oxy from Simple Solution found at Wal-Mart when Lisl was a very young pup. About $5 a bottle.

It works on many other stains too and is good for the laundry.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Nature's Enzymes destroyed a section of carpet during the spot test when I used it and the Out from.WalMart did nothing for me. I used Nature's Miracle on the stains that the Out left plus whatever new ones and it worked so much better, IMHO. I use the Urine Destroyer or the Advanced stuff.

Go to the Dr's Foster and Smith website. NM is usually on sale for about 19$ a gallon...10-12$ less than in Petco. As my Collie was becoming more senior, we stock piled it for the impending accidents and I could get 4-6 bottles a month...and still have to order another product or two to reach the 50$ free shipping. There's several different "flavors" of NM, so you could probably find one to suit your needs.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Nature's Enzymes destroyed a section of carpet during the spot test when I used it and the Out from.WalMart did nothing for me. I used Nature's Miracle on the stains that the Out left plus whatever new ones and it worked so much better, IMHO. I use the Urine Destroyer or the Advanced stuff.

Go to the Dr's Foster and Smith website. NM is usually on sale for about 19$ a gallon...10-12$ less than in Petco. As my Collie was becoming more senior, we stock piled it for the impending accidents and I could get 4-6 bottles a month...and still have to order another product or two to reach the 50$ free shipping. There's several different "flavors" of NM, so you could probably find one to suit your needs.
Nature's Miracle is just Nature's Enzymes and alcohol, so you are saying it destroyed your carper, but you still use it anyway? just wondering.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Undiluted White Vinegar- it's cheap, natural, pet and child safe, and it works.

This is the second or third time I am hearing this. What about how bad it smells? It would seem to me the vinegar is just masking the smell. I dont want my house to smell like a giant salad. Also are you pouring it on there letting soak then soaking up the balance? Using it in your carpet scrubber? How are you using it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is the second or third time I am hearing this. What about how bad it smells? It would seem to me the vinegar is just masking the smell. I dont want my house to smell like a giant salad. Also are you pouring it on there letting soak then soaking up the balance? Using it in your carpet scrubber? How are you using it?

I put it on, let it soak, and then dab it up. Sometimes I'll put baking soda on it to mask the vinegar smell, but the smell usually doesn't linger for long.

It works to eliminate the odor because what you smell in the urine is ammonia, which is alkaline. The vinegar is an acid, so it balances out.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Found this:

To clean the area, you have several choices:

Commercial stain remover that contains 'live enzymes'

Plain white vinegar

Solution of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and liquid detergent

Enzymatic Cleaner

Most commercial stain treatments will work to remove the visible stain, but for effective dog urine smell removal, you'll need to find a product that contains live enzymes. These products are usually labeled for use on pet accidents, and it may be easier to find them at a pet store rather than a general retailer.

The enzymes surround and digest the bacteria from urine that causes odor. Once the bacteria is digested, it is no longer able to emit the unpleasant odors. The enzymatic cleaner should be applied according to the label directions.

Vinegar

Plain white vinegar has the natural ability to neutralize odors caused by urine. A solution of equal parts vinegar and water can be poured over the area and then worked gently into the fibers. Just as you did before, the liquid should then be absorbed with towels or it can be extracted with a carpet cleaning machine or a wet-dry vac.

Homemade Oxy-Cleaner

The main ingredient in commercial oxy-based cleaners is hydrogen peroxide, and you can make an effective version at home. The following ingredients should be mixed in a jar or pitcher:

1/2 cup 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/2 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid detergent (dish soap or laundry detergent)
1 quart water
The solution can be sprayed or poured over the area and then worked into the fibers, using a gentle circular motion. The baking soda is a natural odor neutralizer, and the peroxide helps the solution to penetrate every fiber. The area can be allowed to air dry, and the remaining baking soda will need to be vacuumed.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I can't stand the smell of vinegar. To me, it smells as if my house has become one giant douche.
I found that the best was a solution called Get Serious. Available from Amazon

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Nature's Miracle is just Nature's Enzymes and alcohol, so you are saying it destroyed your carper, but you still use it anyway? just wondering.
I'm sorry...poor reading comprehension on less than 3 hours sleep. I thought I read Nature's Eradicator and I even tried spelling it...gotta love auto-correct. LoL.

My apologies.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I'm sorry...poor reading comprehension on less than 3 hours sleep. I thought I read Nature's Eradicator and I even tried spelling it...gotta love auto-correct. LoL.

My apologies.
Haha! no problem =) I do the same stuff.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I use OUT at walmart, works great, leaves a nice smell and not that expensive:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts