German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I will be getting a little female GSD puppy and want to poddy train her with a crate in the beginning. I already have the largest size wire crate with the two doors and a divider if needed. I will use this for her when she is bigger and we have to go away for a while. What I wanted to know is just for the beginning what size crate would you recommend for poddy training. I have read you don't want it too big but I don't want it too small either. I have been looking at many and was thinking that maybe a 28"long X 20.5 Wide X 21.5 High would be a good size?:confused: There is so much to choose from it gets rather confusing. Just thought maybe some of you could tell me what you used. Thanks for you help!:)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I think you can use the crate you already have utilizing the divider. Because you want enough room so the puppy can turn around but not enough room for them to have a special potty spot.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Use the crate that you already have with the divider. Just use the divider to start the crate off small and adjust as the puppy grows.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best sized crate again

Ok but I read somewhere that puppies like to feel secure and that the travel ones may make them feel that way so you really don't think it matters that much? I just want her to be a happy camper so that is why I was looking to buy the other type for the beginning.:confused: Thanks

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Speaking from personal experience, the large ones with the dividers are the way to go. It's the way I've always done it without problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks then I guess that is what I will do. It will save me money this way too!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Drape a blanket over the top and sides of the crate and you will get that secure feeling for your pup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts