German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, if this belongs elsewhere, please move it

I am wanting to get away from putting pesticide (frontline) on my dog during flea and tick season and need to find a good natural product / remedy that doesn't involve essentially putting poison on her.

I live in Iowa, so sadly ticks are common during the summer. Due to a knee injury and her being on "bed rest" we haven't really been out and about and needing to worry, but once we get back in the swing of things - we will be out a lot.

Ideas??

Thanks
Peg

·
Registered
822 Posts
I highly recommend nematodes. They are all natural and do not harm animals at all. They will actually hunt down the ticks, etc and eat them up. I live on 5 very wooded acres in Michigan and once I got these I've never had to use anything else on my dog's. Now if you go off your property on hikes etc, then I would use DE . Nematodes has saved me loads of money too. Only had to purchase them 1 time in 2 1/2 years. I had ticks sooo bad out here that I found them crawling on me (YUK)!!! The nematodes are awesome!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had good success with neem oil for keeping ticks away. I also use this Neem Protect spray which does a good job of keeping mosquitos away as well.

I also think the recommendation for using nematodes is a great one, but I haven't used it myself as my yard is only the size of a small kitchen! I have friends who have used it on their yards with good results though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts