German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
i was lucky and found one in the pet section of craigslist.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
This is a lot of yadda yadda, but information on ramps here:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=529261&page=2#Post529261

http://www.handicappedpets.com has information as well.

I will tell you what I got there that I absolutely love:
http://www.handicappedpets.com/acc/body/index.htm
I can put Nina in the car easily, just pick her up like luggage.
She turned out to be able to use her hind legs, this just helps her hind end up.

Is this ramp for in the house, the car, stairs out of the house?

I am still hoping to have one built for the deck stairs before winter.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Maybe I should start this as a separate topic, but how difficult is it to get a dog who has never used a ramp, get used to one?

I now have to lift Sheba into the back of my Pathfinder, like I did for Cody when she got old. I'd love to try a ramp, but it looks like it would be so high that she might balk. Hate to spend the money and have it go to waste.

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
Originally Posted By: ninharMaybe I should start this as a separate topic, but how difficult is it to get a dog who has never used a ramp, get used to one?

I now have to lift Sheba into the back of my Pathfinder, like I did for Cody when she got old. I'd love to try a ramp, but it looks like it would be so high that she might balk. Hate to spend the money and have it go to waste.
if your Petsmart carries them, you can return it if it doesnt work out. for my dogs the ramp was pretty easy, they just went right up. i assume you could try food, a toy, throwing a ball, getting in the vehicle first, or just guiding her up by her collar. i would try an extremely level area (so that the rocking of the ramp doesnt freak her out the first try) and also, try and pull up to a high curb so that the ramp isnt set up too steep. if you think she'll do better going down - you may want to try that too before going up, just to get her acclimated.

the only difficult part for me was that my dog can actually still jump into my truck... i just prefer her to use the ramp so that she doesnt "miss" while jumping and injure herself (she's only 8 but has hd). so convincing her to use the ramp... she wants to jump.

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
Originally Posted By: ninharMaybe I should start this as a separate topic, but how difficult is it to get a dog who has never used a ramp, get used to one?

I don't think it's that hard, but don't try to put it on the car right away. When we bought one for Cassidy I laid it on the floor and lured her across it with treats. When she got to the end I whooped it up and rewarded her. We made a game out of it, and in no time she was running happily across it over and over again.

Then, find something a little higher you can put one end on, like the curb or a single step, and do the same thing, then maybe the couch. Gradually work up to full height. I got mine from dogramp.com too. It's nice and sturdy, the carpeted surface helps against slipping, and it's plenty wide.

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
^she's a genius!!!

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
Originally Posted By: Camerafodder^she's a genius!!!
No, it came with instructions on how to get your dog used to it!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
Originally Posted By: Cassidys Mom
Originally Posted By: Camerafodder^she's a genius!!!
No, it came with instructions on how to get your dog used to it!!!
ooooooh,

Originally Posted By: Camerafodderi was lucky and found one in the pet section of craigslist.
i would have gone with the genius title a bit longer ya know... still luv ya!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Thanks so much for the info. I'll have to get one at a local store where it can be returned if it doesn't work out.

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
Originally Posted By: Camerafodderi would have gone with the genius title a bit longer ya know... still luv ya!
I could have worked that a little longer, but since other people bought the same ramp I had I figured I'd better cop to it.

Nina, most of the ones I've seen in stores are hard plastic, which can be scary since it's slippery. See if you can find one with a carpeted surface.

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
Well, we did train for ramps earlier. A friend had bought a folding aluminum one. We set it up to the back of the truck and they did just fine - except for when they decided to skip the ramp and leap into the truck - they did fine then too but it didn't help with ramp work!
Later when we needed the ramp, there was no hesitation.

BTW check the dogramp website. I think they take returns.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Thanks, I'll look around for a rubber or carpeted model and try the slow introduction approach.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts