German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So I need a new vacuum! I have a tiny house, but my grandmother's hand-me-down vac just isn't cutting it anymore. I spent an hour yesterday cleaning out all the bristles, and the bag is no where near full, and it still leaves tons of hair on the carpet.

I have two girls with long hair, my GSD and two cats, so there is a TON of hair. For about 2 weeks I was vacuuming everyday to see if it would help, and it doesn't. Realistically I will vacuum every 2/3 days.

I would love to splurge and get the Dyson Animal Ball, but it is no where near my budget, I am a poor grad student.

I am looking to spend about $150, and was leaning towards the Bissel Pet Hair Eraser, any thoughts?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
You can get Dyson Animal vacuums for cheap on woot.com sometimes. I got mine there a few years ago for half off.

If you want something really powerful without having to clean pieces or brushes, I would get a small shop vac, seriously.

I use a lot of Bissell products from an acquaintance who works their but IMO the vacuums are not as powerful as others (Dyson has that niche).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Do you have carpeting?
If not, I swear by the Hoover Constellation. Canister that glides around like the puck on an air hockey game. It just isn't that great for carpeting, just area rugs and bare floors.
I love this thing!
Just do not buy from vaccums.net they are con artists.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You can get Dyson Animal vacuums for cheap on woot.com sometimes. I got mine there a few years ago for half off.

If you want something really powerful without having to clean pieces or brushes, I would get a small shop vac, seriously.

I use a lot of Bissell products from an acquaintance who works their but IMO the vacuums are not as powerful as others (Dyson has that niche).
Dyson is not really getting great reviews any longer. Overpriced and they do not last.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have carpet - I have carpet upstairs, and laminate/tile down stairs.

On the laminate/tile I've been using a small hand vac & Swiffers, and it gets the job done, I really want something for my upstairs carpeted areas.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I am a cleaning freak, I vacuum every day sometimes 2x a day so I need a good vacuum.
I have the Bissell Healthy Home vacuum. It also has a pet hair remover attachment. I think they are now selling for $170 although when I bought mine a few years ago I paid $250 lol I do like it most days, though I think it is to powerful for my area rugs. I have had to unclog it 3x in the past year. The filter replacements are $23. It does have a lifetime belt in it.

but if you need cheap, I use to have the Bissell canister vacuum, the one for $60 worked great, I really loved it because it had the febreeze filters you could buy for $10 that made the house smell great while I vacuumed. I actual wish I would have just kept that one. I never had to unclog it at all.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
We have the dirt devil for pets. I have got to say that it's a good vacuum. So far I am pleased with it.
Some friends of ours, who own 2 Irish Setters, have a Dirt Devil pet vacuum and they love it. They have told us that they can buy "a few" of them for what a Dyson costs..........I have no idea.
I do agreee with EMariie. We have had 2 Dyson vacuums over the years and I don't think I'd buy another one, and I can get them at cost.
My neighbor has several carpet cleaning and installation stores and says that when Dyson first came out, they were awesome, but like a lot of companies, they cut standards to keep up with demand.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I got my older model Dyson at Walmart on clearance for $189. You can find them cheap if you look!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Some friends of ours, who own 2 Irish Setters, have a Dirt Devil pet vacuum and they love it. They have told us that they can buy "a few" of them for what a Dyson costs..........I have no idea.
I do agreee with EMariie. We have had 2 Dyson vacuums over the years and I don't think I'd buy another one, and I can get them at cost.
My neighbor has several carpet cleaning and installation stores and says that when Dyson first came out, they were awesome, but like a lot of companies, they cut standards to keep up with demand.
We've had the smaller German Version of the Dirt Devil in Germany. And it was great with the hardwood floors and the carpet. It kept up with three shedding GSD's and all the sand.

Now that we have the US standard Dirt Devil for Pets... it's awesome. Its one of the cheapest Vacuums out there but very powerful.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I can't remember where I read it recently (think it was a magazine), but an independent review of vacs for pets was done and Dyson didn't even make the top 10. I think it was a bissel (sp) that did actually.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
I thought I really had to get a dyson. I have one now... and a couple of other vacuums as well. I don't think it's any better or worse than the other two. It's just a vacuum, an over priced one. If it works, and you like to use it that's what counts. My grandmother swore by her kerby. That thing was like pushing a car through your house.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have a Shark and love it. If you clean it like the manual says, it will never let you down. I am now looking forward to getting the newest one that just came out - the lift away. My brother just bought it and says its terrific!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I bought a Dyson Ball through Overstock.com

·
Registered
510 Posts
You might see if your area has a couple of vac repair shops. You can get good rehabed vacuums at lower prices and, best of all, you can get great advice from someone who knows the vacuums from the inside out.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
:D;):cool:What I like about my Shark Navigator:

• Washable HEPA filters (saves money)
  • Sturdy belt, not prone to breakage
  • Dust cup opens from bottom; easy to empty inside a plastic bag (I do it outside) to keep dust from flying around & canceling the benefit of your HEPA filtration
  • Doesn't lose suction, even when full (Translation: DOESN'T CHOKE ON DOG HAIR)*
  • Lightweight; small head, easy to maneuver in small spaces
  • Pet brush opens up, so hairballs are easy to clean out (only pet brush I've seen with this feature)
  • Powerful enough to suck up LOTS of hair, but won't chew up older carpets (as some Dysons reportedly do)
*The only (minor) negative so far: The dust cup is a little on the small side, so you'll be emptying it more frequently-- after each use, or several times per use if you haven't vacuumed since March, it's already May, and you live with several German Shedders & you haven't brushed any of them since last year. ;) Also, because it doesn't lose suction, you need to watch for constipation if you're vacuuming up copious amounts of critter hair.

Funny thing: First time I used the Shark vac, it worked great for about half a carpet, then stopped picking anything up. I was disappointed.... and that's when I discovered it was completely backed up, way past capacity. I had vacuumed the day before with my older upright vac. Apparently my old vac was leaving a LOT behind that the Shark pulled up with no problem. YUK!

Before that, I used a shop vac (which I still have). Though somewhat noisy, it's great on hard floors, but not so great on carpet & furniture. (I haven't tried the air-powered brush attachment that's available for shop vacs, though.) With the shop vac, I do recommend getting the wider hose. The standard narrow hose does tend to choke on dog hair.

*giggle* I'm highly qualified to comment on vacuum cleaners. I'm a connoisseur of fine vacs. That, and I'm diagnosed autistic.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Years ago I went to a Kirby vacuum shop and bought a used/reconditioned vacuum-- I used it for years, then the same guy bought it back! Now I use an Oreck because it's so much lighter--they also sell used vacuums in the stores

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I looked into the shark...it was a big no for me becaue of the size of the dust canister. That thing is waaaaaaaaaay too small! I have emptying them out.

I agree Dyson's are way overpriced if you're paying the $499 price tag. For the price I paid it's as good or better than any other vacuum I looked at.

One thing I really like about the Dyson is the amount of attachemtns you can get for it. I bought the "flat out" attachement that is super thin and wide and can vacuum under the stove and fridge. It also swivels so it can get almost flat and I can almost get it to the middle of the under part of the bed and can completely do under the couch and bookcases very quickly.

Also a crevice attachment I really like...and the ceiling fan one is a dream. It's almost a U-shape so you can just stick it in the air and it will get the top of the blades.

I also get the attachements on super-sale. It was Macy's end of year blowout and the ones I bought were all about 70% off.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Well my Dyson is still alive and well after 7 years. If it breaks today, I will get another one in a heartbeat. I had a Sharp before Dyson, hated it with passion. We a Miele and Hoover here at work, not very impressed with them either.

Costco sells the non-ball Dyson for under 300, I can't remember the exact price. I just saw it the other night.

I love the Dyson's attachments, especially the floor tool, we have wood and tile floors.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts