German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to hear people's opinions and experiences when it comes to guard/protection dogs. It's something that I've always been interested in, but never really required.

So what breed do you think makes the most capable guard/protection dog (generally)? I don't want to state my opinion just yet (I don't want my opinion to influence your choices. I just want your raw/personal opinion.). With that said, I'm inclined to believe that it's not the GSD.

I'm not looking for a new dog any time in the foreseeable future. I'm just asking out of pure curiosity.

If you consider this a different category, what dog do you think has the highest "stopping power"?

I hope I chose the right place for this thread :confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
They had a dog on the Berlin Wall A russian cossack dog It's breeding was to rip the throat out of a running wolf The Russians used it to do the same to running communist If the handler went down the dog got shot
Myself I take the german shepherd's dog Call them my single action 44 locked and cocked Both make a mighty roar and leave impressive holes

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
For protection, the only breed developed solely for personal protection..The Doberman.

For guarding...something like a Black Russian Terrier would be pretty intimidating.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
For protection. A solid working GSD with necessary sharpness

For guarding. Maybe a big mastiff type

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
For personal protection and guarding I say the Doberman.

I have 4 Dobermans in my life right now and all of them are excellent watch/guard dogs. I baby sit 2 of them at my house every now and then and they all start guarding my yard immediately. They make sure their presence is known and watch people walk past or they alert me to whatever is going on outside.

My GSD has protected me from 2 men in the past and he alerts me when he hears something going on and he does guard his yard but I still believe the Doberman is a better breed when it comes to guarding/watching/protecting.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I think it depends on the type of guarding work as to which breed is best, and of course the individual dog.

At the end of the day, the best guard dog/PP dog is a trained one, and the breed doesn't really matter.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I think it depends on the type of guarding work as to which breed is best, and of course the individual dog.

At the end of the day, the best guard dog/PP dog is a trained one, and the breed doesn't really matter.
There is a reason professional protection dogs are almost exclusively 2 breeds

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I was at a Schutzhund seminar this past weekend and the TD/helper said something that really stuck with me…”Rare breeds are rare for a reason, if they were capable of doing the work, there would be more of them.”

As to the Dobermans guarding? Lots of dogs bark when there is a fence between them and the threat. The true test is seeing what happens when the threat starts to move in on the dog. Most Dobermans I've seen...leave a lot to be desired.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I agree. But guarding and PP aren't quite the same thing, for guarding, I think there are a number of breeds that would suit.
I agree. That's why I didn't even name a breed for guarding lol

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
i have seen plenty of trained dobes that would eat intruders for a midnight snack.
I work a lot of dobs, been around a lot more. Ask any working dobie person and they will tell you it's incredibly hard to find a good dobie that can work

Nicest working dobs I know of are john kowalczyk's and I believe he is importing from Sweden or Finland or something. I can buy an awesome working GSD in an afternoons drive

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That's interesting how the whole "patrolling" behaviour was mentioned. I never really considered that. I always thought that most dogs will go into their "patrol" if they felt that something strange was going on. Because of that I always considered the Rottweiler to be the most capable guard dog. Kind of a stereotypical opinion, but I always though that their extra mass, bite and laid back temperament made them the best guard dog. I suppose their chunkiness makes them less agile then some of the other working breeds.

I also felt that the Anatolian Shepherd would be a great guarding dog because of their mass and the fact that they're taller than most dog breeds.

As far as the Doberman being "breed for protection", I never really gave it credit for that. It may have been designed for that, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best at it. I've also seen a lot of Dobermans that look kind of frail, although I have seen many more muscular ones.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Also depends on what we are guarding. A thing? A herd? A junkyard? The front porch? Different breeds excel at different tasks.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Anatolian Shepherds are a LGD, I wouldn't say they'd be a good choice for PP or guarding in the sense that you are thinking of. Their breeding lends itself to be an independent thinker, able to work without human direction, which I would think would make them difficult to train.

I think a Rottie would be a good estate guard dog/deterrent and good at keeping people out, but I wouldn't pick them for a PP dog.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I work a lot of dobs, been around a lot more. Ask any working dobie person and they will tell you it's incredibly hard to find a good dobie that can work

Nicest working dobs I know of are john kowalczyk's and I believe he is importing from Sweden or Finland or something. I can buy an awesome working GSD in an afternoons drive
That was basically his point...there are great examples of each breed, but they're so few and far between that its basically not worth looking for them. And the only way you'll get the "good" one is if you're already in the know and working dogs.

For the average person, it would be a shot in the dark to find a "good" dobe or anything else. A GSD...2 hour drive at most in my area.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Is there a particular reason for Dobermans being difficult to work with?

·
Registered
556 Posts
The question was posted about the Breed, not the level/quality of training.

A Giant Schnauzer is yet another breed that excels in guarding... depending on what/who needs to be guarded.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts