German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to me it seems that GSD's are nice and friendly, a lot. I love the fact that he runs to my friends when he sees them but I hate that he is also very playful with strangers. I know he is young but this is not the point.

When he is older, he will be loose a lot. I was wondering at a older age, do GSD's become more pre cautious? I had an old GSD get stolen because a guy that worked near our house kept playing with him and then at night he took the GSD, no barks.

Does he also interact with a stranger when you're walking him? Or does he wait for you to make the first move which depicts in his mind whether this stranger is a friend or an enemy?

Does the GSD need protection training to become a well equipped protection dog like the Doberman?

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Mine will occasionally interact with strangers on walks, all three are tolerant to them and do fine being petted, but none are overly enthused about it.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
my 3 year old female is friendly with everyone but out and about or strangers coming to the house, she keeps an eye on them but is not overly anxious to meet them and be friendly. She tolerates attention but I don't think she'd be offended if people weren't so anxious to pet her. She'll accept a pat on the head or the back and after that she'll ignore them and focus on something else. She was a very friendly puppy. She's 3 now.

my 12 week old male is overly friendly with everyone. They show him any kind of interest and he's all wiggles and tail wags. As he grows and matures, that should change. He'll become more aloof and less interested in attention from everyone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts