German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

My name is Noah and this is my first post on this forum! I'm really excited to be apart of the community and look forward to getting some tips and tricks along the way:)

So, I just got home from adopting a beautiful 4 year old German Shepherd (though I would assume she is not... she definitely looks purebred- photos to come) from a local animal shelter and am awaiting the completion of her spay surgery to pick her up sometime this week. Upon meeting her I noticed how very underweight she was and how malnourished she looked. I was told she was just getting over Kennel Cough and would be remaining on medicine until the 6th. The wet and dry food in her bowls were untouched.

I am wondering first how I can start getting her excited and interested in eating again because she seems to be a bit turned off to the idea which may change once she's out of the environment but if it doesn't I want to know what I can do to make it easier for her. Second, what are some good either food brands or simple recipes I can buy/make to feed her that will help her gain weight quicker. And on top of that how frequently should I feed her. Really just any tips or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I have done tons of research prior to my decision to adopt but I just want to compare what I've found with people who have much more experience. I promise I took time to inform myself before making this decision! :)

Thank you so much! I can't wait for you all to meet her soon:)

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! The stress of being in the shelter may be a factor in her loss of appetite. Every dog is different and what they eat ravenously, just pick at, or ignore will vary. My four will eat Fromm and Honest Kitchen without fail, but I do give things like chicken feet, beef, and such on occasion, generally if I'm making dinner and it's something they like then they'll get some too. You may find she likes plain kibble or does better with a raw diet, it'll take time to see what works best. I recall a thread on making "Satin balls" for weight gain, you might try the forum search bar and looks for threads on it to see if it's something you want to try.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hi Noah and WELCOME! :greet:

You can try a small amount of plain, unflavored, no sweeteners (especially no xylitol) yogurt or goats milk mixed in her kibble which could entice her.

Go slow when trying to make changes to her diet. Keep her on the same kibble the shelter is feeding for several weeks until she gets comfortable with the transition. Always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change eventually transitioning out the old food.
If stool gets loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Kibble:
Fromm’s:https://frommfamily.com/ Store locator: http://frommfamily.com/retailers/usa/#progress=2
You can rotate flavors within the Fromm line to keep her interest.

Instinct:
https://www.instinctpetfood.com/dog...stinct-ultimate-protein-cage-free-duck-recipe
(the Instinct is high protein so if you choose this, transition in very small amounts so as not to cause diarrhea)
Store locator: https://www.instinctpetfood.com/store-locator

I would also suggest a high quality Digestive Enzyme (helps to assimilate food) & a ProBiotic (keeps the "good" bacteria in the gut). Since about 75% of the immune system lies in the gut it is very important to keep it healthy.
Below are Human Ingredient Products made for dogs:
Sunday Sundaehttps://feedsentials.com/sundaysundae (click on the email to order)
Gut Sensehttp://dr-dobias-natural-healing-usa...ducts/gutsense
Mercola Digestive/Probiotic: https://shop.mercola.com/product/2118/1/whole-food-digestive-probiotic-for-pets-94g-per-container-1-container
Digest All Plus:https://www.thewholisticpet.com/dog/supplements/digestion/wholistic-digest-all-plustm.html
Animal Essentials: Plant Enzyme w/ Probiotics 3.5 oz 100 gm - Animal Essentials

Best of luck!

Moms:)

·
Super Moderator
7,250 Posts
I've dealt with a few very anxious shelter dogs in the past and at first I would hand feed them.If dry kibble was rejected,I would mix in something delicious and smelly.Chopped boiled eggs,canned dog or cat food,beef or chicken broth.GSDs tend to be one family dogs so it takes some time and patience for them to relax and settle in after being uprooted.Good luck!

Reactions: SocalGSDLover

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the tips! I'll definitely look into the Satin Balls. And yeah I am hoping that just being out of the shelter will also help. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the tips! I was wondering how long I should take to transition her from the shelter kibble, so thank you! And the links... you're a superstar !!! Thank you so much I have lots to research now :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great tips thank you! Yeah I am thankful I'm not working a lot this week or next so that I can be home with her while she settles in. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Kennel cough and a spay are a lot for her body to deal with. It is too bad they didn’t wait to spay until she was completely well. I’m not surprised she has no appetite. It could be due to medication, too. Once you get her home, pick a food and gradually switch her over. Also consider raw or modified raw. Her appetite should pick up once she is home with you and feeling better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys!

Update! We got to take her home yesterday and she's doing pretty well! She has some pretty bad separation anxiety which makes total sense, so I haven't really left her side except for at night when shes in her crate. She is still coughing and yacked up a tiny bit of mucus today from her Kennel Cough, but she seems to be doing better from the rest and medicine.

I've noticed twice now that she keeps licking her front paws and legs. I read that could be a sign of her separation anxiety because it releases endorphins, but she just did it for the second time just now while shes laying next to me.

Also, she doesn't like to sleep. I can tell she's tired because she laying down now but with her head up like in the attached photos and her eyes keep closing and opening like shes falling asleep but she is like keeping herself awake almost? Lastly, she won't stop panting. Her water bowl hasn't been empty once and she's been drinking plenty so I know she isn't dehydrated.

Sorry this post is all over the place! Just kind of venting out all my thoughts and concerns haha. She has a vet appointment tomorrow so I'm sure I'll get more answers to my questions then as well.

Anyway, without further ado I'd like to introduce everyone to sweet Maisie! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
@wolfy dog, kind of what I was thinking!

Shadow is 23" and at 60lbs she would be FAT! I realize that all dogs are different but she looks fine, and what a face, so sweet.

Licking paws and panting COULD indicate pain or discomfort. Nausea will make some dogs lick at their legs. Call her vet if you are concerned. I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Whoa. That would put her at the same weight as my dog, and she has 5 inches of height on your girl. I think your vet is very misguided in the amount of weight needed in this case.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
She does look good and not under weight from what I can see beautiful girl! I would not make any major changes to her food yet but adding something may make her want to eat. Fromm is a great food with all different price ranges. There are a lot of great threads on here about a two week shutdown period for bringing new dogs home and helping them adjust.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
She is 61.8 pounds. She sits at around 21 inches. Vet said for her size he'd like her to gain at least 10 pounds.

She looks fine and is within the proper weight standards. Just get the dog into a comfortable routine and make sure she is eating and drinking water and getting acclimated to her new home. No need for quick weight gains. I would avoid the high calorie foods that were posted below if this was my dog now that we know the weight and have seen some pictures. Good luck she will be fine once she gets comfortable and her weight will be fine. Dog was stressed I am sure.

https://www.germanshepherddog.com/about/german-shepherd-dogs/breed-standards/

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys! Thank you for all the responses and the advice!

I think my pictures were a little misleading especially the one on the couch haha.

Here’s a shot of her from above. While I definitely didn’t trust that vet for a few other reasons I know she needs to gain at least a few pounds because she is ALL bone. Her spine protrudes out completely and she has a very petite hourglass figure.

Right now I have her eating about 4 times a day (she gets hungry in bursts throughout the day, but like everyone has said slow and steady!) of Blue dry and wet food. In total for the day she eats 4 cups of dry food and a whole can of wet food. She’s been pretty constipated since she came home and hasn’t pooped much but when she does it’s solid.

Everyday she gets a little bit better! ?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts