German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bailey is 6 months and he is a picky eater. The breeder had him on Royal Canin when I got him at 9 weeks. He never really ate it. Over the next couple of month we battled giardia and coccidia. During that time, the vet had me put him on Perscription Diet from Pet ID. (Vet is Bandfield in Petsmart - not a fan at all of them). Now, I have him on Eukanuba. During the process of swapping out foods he ate the Eukanuba mixed with his Perscription diet great. But now, he will barely touch the Eukanuba. I took him to the vet and the vet said he was fine he is just being a picky eater.

I was looking at maybe swapping him over to Blue Buffalo or Iams. But I am not sure what I should be doing. Everyone I ask has a different opinon. Can someone please help me?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Sometimes dogs are picky because they have an upset stomach so eating is uncomfortable. More often it's because people keep adding in tasty treats so the dog won't eat without them.

I would bet, with his history of giardia and coccidia, that his GI system still isn't fully healthy and he's either nauseous or uncomfortable eating.

I would suggest you try a bland diet for a while to see if he eats that, otherwise I would suggest your try other dog foods - Eukanuba and Iams are not the best - and see if he likes those better.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If I were in your shoes I would go with a large breed puppy food and ditch the Eukaneuba/prescription diets ASAP. Wellness, Solid Gold, and Orijen have decent LBP foods. I think Costco has a Kirkland LBP food... Not sure of what others there are.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I also have a very picky eater as well. Horrible when it comes to eating. The formula that worked for me, at least for a while, was mixing bil jac large breed puppy with half a wellness can. I used to feed GSD royal canin, wellness, nutro, and authority lamb, but she grew to hate them. She would never stick to anything. In all honesty, once reviewing her feeding, she had a lot of variety but would flake with each kibble, and I know its my fault. It's my fault because I dont stick to just one plan. I give her varieties. In doing that, I created a monster. She's refusing to eat the appropriate portions, but when realized that she is not going to get anything else, she eats what she can or wants. Creating a feeding schedule can be helpful as well. Your dog will learn that if he or she doesn't eat at the times you designated, than their bowl will be removed in a few minutes and the next meal will be hours away.
I don't recommend eukanuba. They have had many mysterious recalls on their food lately and refuse to say why. Sounds shady to me. I would go for wellness, blue, or bil jac.

I wish you all the best.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Stella (now 7 month) was a picky eater as well and we went with a lot of different kibble, she also had Orijen which wasn't good for her, but the choice of kibble is yours seeing that everybody has a different opinion on that subject. What helped Stella was cooking some burger meat and mixing it under the kibble which she just loved or some chicken. I hope that helps all the best just on a footnote our vet told us to put her on adult kibble that she wouldn't grow as fast.all the best

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
CANNED CAT FOOD

Find a kibble that you feel comfortable with and you know your dog will eat (the Eukanuba?).

Then buy some of the small (tuna fish canned sized 6 oz?). Get a variety.

CATS are very finicky. So the foods are made super stinky and yummy to get them eating. They also have a HUGE variety.

For my picky eater (who would skip meals for DAYS) I just had to work out the LEAST amount of the cat food (mixed with water to make a gravy to coat the dog kibble) needed to get the meal eaten. For me, 1/4 to 1/3 of a can was all that was needed.

So the calories and nutrition come from the kibble, the cat food is just to get the meal started (and finished).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mona is a very very picky eater as well. She is 5 1/2 months old and we just switched her to adult kibble. She went from Orijen LBP to Acana Prairie and really like it to begin with, but then became picky once more haha. I just add a dallop of yogurt to her bowl each meal and she plows through it. I don't know how you feel about a topper, but it has always seemed to work with this picky little girl.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts