German Shepherds Forum banner

Best dry food

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  LRP 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2 year old German shepherd, he's a stock coat, stands quite tall & weighs about 43kg (healthy for his height).
I'm having trouble with deciding what food to keep him on. Since he was a puppy he's been on Black Hawk Large breed puppy, at about 18 months we moved him to Black Hawk large breed adult.
After a trip to the vet to have his teeth cleaned, the vet recommended changing food as the kibble size of black hawk is quite small & not cleaning his teeth as his food should.

After this we moved to Royal Canin German Shepherd, He's been on this for about 6 weeks now. He seems to like it, though he's not jumping with joy for food like he used to.
My query is the ingredients first & foremost, and secondly the price.

With Blackhawk we were getting roughly 6-7 weeks out of a 20kg bag at $120 a bag.
With Royal Canin we're lasting 4 weeks off an 11kg bag at $120 a bag.

I understand quality costs, but i'm not happy with the ingredient list of Royal Canin.

Could anyone suggest a dry food available for purchase in Aus, that has a healthy ingredient list, that is cost effective in bulk?

Alternatively, if anyone can suggest reputable companies for BARF diets that contain all nutrition and supplements a German shepherd may need, i'd be open to ideas.

Thank you everyone!!

See less See more
#4 ·
I am not sure where you are but Costco makes a great, very low priced kibble. Kirkland brand - Adult Chicken is what I feed our 2 GSD's.
https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sig...etable-dog-food-40-lb..product.100343454.html
Its actually cheaper in the store... about $25 for the 40 lbs. Its made by a larger, well known dog food company and it gets high scores. We have a stock coat who is tall and lean and a long coat who is shorter and rounder.... they both do very well on this food (weight wise). We just adjust what we give them based on activity for the dayt.

Also I would recommend giving your dog a natural chew to keep there teeth clean, we give ours Cow Ears. They are low fat and easily digested and they do wonders keeping there teeth white.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.