German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gigi has outgrown her 30" wire crate and we need a more permanent fix for the Toyota Highlander for transport. Currently we have the crate in the way back. So....

Pet barrier? - thinking it doesn't protect her very much in an accident....

Crates made special for cars?

Let me know your suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
31,097 Posts
I use a wire crate but will need to switch to a double crate soon. Ruff Tough is pretty safe. WT metal. Variocage. There are alot of custom crates.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend. I have 36" plastic VariKennel in my Highlander. Since I don't need any of the seats up, I keep it back from the hatch, but I think it would actually fit with the second row up. I'm not 100% sure about that though. And since I prefer to have the crate on the passenger side because it obstructs my vision the least, I can put up the smaller side of the split 60/40 2nd row seat without pulling the crate to seat 3 people.

At some point I plan to upgrade to a Rough Tough Kennel, they're supposed to be safer in case of a crash, and they're one of the least expensive options as far as the higher end crates go compared to wire or regular plastic. The standard XL size is around $300 until you start adding options like a second door, additional vent holes, or accessories. If you have money to burn, you can spend $700, $800, or even more on a really nice crate!

I recently gave away an older 36" plastic crate, the one I used for Halo. Cava came to CA from Colorado in a slightly heavier duty version VariKennel, so I decided to use that one in the car instead and rehome the old one. One of my teammates wanted it, so I brought it with me to the last practice. Here's a photo showing both 36" crates - I slid the old one in through the side door, the gray one is where I always keep it:

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Here's the side door view:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a double WT Metall in one of my cars. Plenty of room for the dogs and it is completely silent.

Edit: As you may see, the door on the one side is a bit crooked - you don't mess with a rottweiler ? It didn't break, unlike the windshield of the car when some youngsters tried to be tough, and the rottie boy was inside the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just bought a Gunner Kennel. Can't take my boy's constant barking from the backseat of the Jeep Cherokee anymore, plus he bites the windows. I think he doesn't like the backseat.
The Gunner kennels are expensive but he'll be riding in an open truck bed so he has to be securely contained and warm or cool, depending on the weather, and long-distance trips are in the future plans. So I made the investment.
If your dog will be in the cabin, one of the vari kennels might be okay so long as it's strapped down. It's better than just a barrier and better than a harness and seatbelt strap, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
4,673 Posts
we have Gunner kennels in the back open bed of our truck with the weather covers. Expensive but worth every penny. In the car we have hammock style covers on our seats and BreezeGuard screens on our back windows. I used to use Kurgo harness and tethers in the back seat but once I got two dogs it got a bit awkward.

https://www.breezeguard.com/

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts