German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 48in metal crate. It will be used for an upcoming trip for Frodo to spend a few hours at a time in when we go out. He will be left in peoples homes. It will also be used at home just as a place to go when he wants alone time (with door left open at home) Im looking to spend under $150. I'm looking for suggestions on brands that are sturdy. I'm currently looking at Foster and Smith brand, and Midwest brand. Does anyone have either of these and are they good quality?

·
Registered
938 Posts
iCrate has been working out just fine for me. It cost $88 at my local ranch supply. I have found that they have better prices than the major pet stores and carry better deals on food, treats, flea meds as well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If he is crate trained, you can go with a brand such as Midwest or the iCrate. I also have used Petmate crates for my crate trained dogs. Heavier duty brands and models are most often used with dogs that are not crate trained and that may be resistant to the confinement.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I like the Petco brand...whatever that is. They are also usually on sale on their website. We got the Great Dane size for about 100$, including shipping. It's very durable and has done well.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I got my 42" Top Paw crate with two doors for $109 on sale at PetsMart. I think it might be cheaper online through them though I just didn't want to wait for shipping. I don't know how sturdy is sturdy though. My pup is crate trained and doesn't try to get out.

Here's a link: Puppy Crate » Top Paw™ Double Door Dog Crates | PetSmart

The 42" works for me and he goes in and out of it whenever he pleases when I'm home :) we've had it for 4 months now :) my pup is only 25" at the withers and 65 lbs though. If you have a bigger dog I'd go with the 48".

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He had a plastic kennel til he was a year but we had to sell it because he got to big and my husband didn't buy the largest size to start. He loved sleeping in it. He currently has free range of house (no issues). I want to order one now so he has a few weeks to get acclimated to it. I'm just looking for some brands that hold up well under $150.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
We have a 42 inch soft sided crate made by someone that I use for people's homes and for shows. The big metal one becomes a PIA to carry around.

But if you want a cheap one, go to eBay. I believe there is a company called "Champion" and my crate has lasted the 2.5 years my boy has been around. No issues with it, its built just like a Midwest crate (probably by the same factory). Even came with a divider.

If your boy doesn't have SA most crates will work, and if he is really badly SA...nothing but a specialty made one will work lol.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
$88 on Amazon with shipping for Lisl's new 48" crate. Two doors, divider, tray, and detachable handles.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Wire crate quality depends on wire gauge.

I've seen Petco having a LOT of really good crate sales lately. If you're not in a rush I would wait. They also have free shipping for something that price.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I bought mine online, brand new 48" for $70 on Craigslist.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for everyones suggestions. I found one today at TSC on sale for $75 (regular $100) 48x30x(33in high). Its made buy Midwest but marketed as a different name, very sturdy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts