German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new house is going to have laminate wood flooring in the living room, kitchen and hallway, vinyl in the bathrooms and laundry room, carpet in the bedrooms.

All my life I've either had to deal with carpet/vinyl or all tile type flooring in our apt. (not really sure what type of floor it is)

Been looking for the best ways to keep the laminate clean in in good shape. I've heard some mixed reviews with some people telling me to not get laminate, but I've also been researching online and have found more positive reviews than negative. However, I've also found a ton of different opinions on how to keep it clean and in good shape.

Sweep/vac. then spray bottle with vinegar/water or other cleaner and micro push mop, separate mop with dry towel to dry. Seems to be the most common themes.

However I'm not sure about what cleaner to use. Some people have posted two different reviews for the same thing!

Also some have mentioned the Hoover Floormate Spinscrub Wet/Dry Vacuum as being a good all in one cleaner.

I know it isn't hard to clean them in general, but I really don't want to spend a month or more trying to figure out what works and end up messing up my floors in the process.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I use vinegar and water and that's it.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I have this for quick clean up, I put vinegar water in it and have extra pads(washable): Reveal Spray Mop | Spray Mopping | Mops | Microfiber | Rubbermaid Less than $20
I also have a Shark steam mop, used a couple times and it is gathering dust in the garage. My other go to for floors is the old hands and knees with a cloth and bucket of dish soap and hot water. Dish soap generally doesn't leave residue or streaks, vinegar is great though...disinfects but smells terrible.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Vinegar and water, a steam mop is easy and effective :)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
My entire house (with the exception of the kitchen and bathrooms) is laminate ... I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT ...

Super easy to keep clean ... I have a parrot who poops on the floor, and of course the lovely wet dog who lays on it ...

Vinegar and water ... that's it ... that's all you need! And not even a lot of vinegar! If you don't like the smell of vinegar, just use hot water, and put in a couple of drops of an essential oil you like.

I have newspapers under my parrot's cage, but she still manages to poop on the floor. I use a butter knife to scrape it off and it doesn't scratch the floor! LOVE LOVE LOVE the laminate!

Good luck ... and did I mention how much I LOVE my laminate flooring????

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
We have cork board and hardwood, I use the steam mop...not recommended but I feel it busts thru the real gross spots. We had laminate, I used the steam mop on it too. Sometime I use vinegar.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! Thanks :) I use vinegar and water to clean almost everything else as it is, I was just worried how it would work on the laminate.

We will have vinyl in both bathrooms and laundry room. The laminate just in the kitchen, living room and hallway. The living room and kitchen is basically all one room, I don't plan having lots of water in my kitchen floor, lol. (unless something breaks, in which case, that's going to suck regardless of floor)

I think what I'll do is invest in a good vacuum for bare floors and then try the vinegar/water first and see how that goes. I use to have a steam mop but I didn't really like it very well after awhile. It was great at first, but over time it just lost its umph.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Our whole house is laminate. I sweep with a microfiber mop thing and then I steam mop. Just got the steam mop for Christmas and I LOVE it.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Awesome! Thanks :) I use vinegar and water to clean almost everything else as it is, I was just worried how it would work on the laminate.

We will have vinyl in both bathrooms and laundry room. The laminate just in the kitchen, living room and hallway. The living room and kitchen is basically all one room, I don't plan having lots of water in my kitchen floor, lol. (unless something breaks, in which case, that's going to suck regardless of floor)

I think what I'll do is invest in a good vacuum for bare floors and then try the vinegar/water first and see how that goes. I use to have a steam mop but I didn't really like it very well after awhile. It was great at first, but over time it just lost its umph.
I clean homes and use many,many different brands of vacuums. For the price(under $200 at Costco) the Shark has my vote! After using two different models for the past year, that is the vac I decided to buy after my Bissell power head button broke/it's in the shop for 3 weeks and I can't go that long without a vac. I used a new Dyson today, and it is cheap feeling compared to the Shark. Not as user friendly, either.

·
Super Moderator
5,389 Posts

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
My little vacation cabin has laminate -- and we hike, get muddy, and constantly track in mess from being outside (with three dogs in a small space). For those kind of cleaning requirements, we've been super happy with the Bissell Crosswave Pet (which both removes dirt like a vacuum and wet-mops the floor). It regularly goes on deep sale during the BF/holiday period -- I think I paid $100 or so for it with a slew of Kohl's coupon codes stacked last year. It's multi-surface, so you can go over the bathroom tile or linoleum with it too. I can even use it to shampoo throw rugs by changing the setting.

For "regular" minor cleanings, vinegar/water, Method or Bona squirt-and-mop work fine. However, there are just some weeks where that's not enough for the way we live in an active multi-dog household out in wilderness frequently -- it might be if you have time to keep up with it daily (or even every other day), or even have dogs that don't get into mud...but that's not my life.

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
4,518 Posts
a little damp mopping is fine. Bona once is good once in a while but I have to make sure to get all the shed fur up or it gets pasted to the floor. I used to like to use Orange Glo but I don't see that around much any more.

The hardest part is kicking everyone outside while I move furniture, get the fur up and then mop.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Orange glo is my favorite it does not leave a build up like the others. I think Home Depot has and some stores I was looking the other day and could not find it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a Shark Navigator Lift-Away NV356E vacuum for laminate floors, because we have a hair shedding pet in the house and this vacuum can easily clean all the hair that is on the floor or on the carpet. No more headache.

·
Super Moderator
2,810 Posts
If you are choosing your own flooring, pick a commercial grade product. They have a massive wear layer, they are non slip when wet. They are 100% waterproof.

I have 2500 sqft out laminate in my home and another 3000 at my restaurant. I use a commercial dust mop and a Uline commercial microfiber mop system and commercial floor cleaner.

It's a bit of an investment up front, but commercial products will last forever and they do a great job. What would your restaurant around the corner use to clean their hard flooring?

·
4,518 Posts
Jenny, I wish I could find Orange Glo! I really like how that worked on my floors. I have Bona now but I don't like it nearly as much. I sweep and vac and sometimes damp mop

1 - 20 of 20 Posts