German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 mo. old gsd who chews up or through EVERYTHING. I've tried different Kong toys, treat dispenser toys, deer antlers, balls, etc, and she will play with them for a little bit but all she wants to do is rip things apart. I can't find a toy to satisfy her. Even with toys in her crate, she'll just ignore them and rip up her bedding (only if I'm not home of course). She's happier with a stick outside than anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Good luck. Rosko is 10 months old and still chews through everything. The best thing I have found is those 6 dollar tug ropes. The bigger the better. I have to make sure to keep the loose strings cut off and make sure it has a tight knot. He will still chew through them so he gets them supervised. BIG R has them with pig ears on them. He gets them occasionally. I have a couple of toys that were advertised as chew toys for aggressive chewers bite he still chews them up. Their hard enough that I'm afraid he'll break a tooth. So I stopped with them.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I may have misread your post. My dog just chews through toys. He doesn't chew furniture bedding or anything like that. I would still try the ropes if I were you. You can get him fired up playing tug then let him wonder off to chew them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It isn't a chew toy, but we have a toy called The Jolly Egg (the big one). Of course, he tries to chew on it, but he can't and that's the point of it. It's just a really big, smooth toy that is difficult to get a bite on.

My boy's mouth isn't as big as a gsd's, but I think the large 12 inch one should still be big enough to work. The 8 inch was juuuusssttt small enough to fit in his mouth (literally 8.25 would've been too big for his mouth). He isn't dumb, though, and knows if he is gentle it won't fly around. He'll carefully pin it down and try chewing at it, but all that the big one has are some scrapes on it. The smaller one that he can actually pick up isn't in too bad of shape, though. He can't actually do much to the larger end, but the smaller end is worn down.

Note: safen up the inside before giving it. Your dog will be oblivious to everything and run into things as they knock it about. Don't want a vase getting knocked down.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Why not give her something she can "chew up" safely. I think some dogs like the satisfaction of destroying something. I give my boy bully sticks, trachea's, tendons, back straps, and raw bones. It seems to satisfy his need to chew something up.

Also how much exercise does she get? If she is bored she will find ways to entertain herself and relieve her boredom. Daily exercise and training can definitely help with destructive behaviors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If left alone with a few chew toys, and other items present (mattress, shoes, etc.) my dog will play with the toys, but eventually moves on to other stuff as well. She never touches anything else when we are present, but if left alone, it's only a matter of time.

It is definitely a puppy stage; they just want to explore everything. Mine is 16 months, and I still don't trust her. The key is to remove everything else and leave only things she can chew until they outgrow that. Most dogs don't really need fancy mattresses or bedding, especially when left alone. I rather put down blankets or towels. Usually those take longer to shred to bits than a nice foam mattress. A sturdy piece of shaggy carpet can last a long time too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! I will definitely try your suggestions. She is at home in her crate while I am at work, but as soon as I get home we go for a walk around the neighborhood (including leash training lol), and then she and my other dog go in the backyard and play together. I also thought it might be boredom. I guess she's just high energy and very smart lol. I did buy her the TUFF bedding to reduce shredding her bedding and that has helped with that aspect. I tried old blankets but unfortunately she has a hygroma so I have to make sure her crate is really padded. She seems to be high maintenance, but I think this will be a trial and error thing for a while. Thank you all!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Frank doesn't chew up anything, but of course I never left toys lying around when he was growing up. My blue heeler, on the other hand, is a different creature and the only thing that survives is the Goughnut. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts