German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my eyes on German Shepherds a lot and narrowed them down as my next breed. I’m aware that GSDs vary A LOT in drive in temperament between different bloodlines and breeders, so I was unsure of where to start. I have had experiences with Akitas so far, so I’m used to training and working with dogs with reactivity/aggression. My step dad also used to have a very well trained GSD (unaware of lines) so I understand the basics of training and raising a German Shepherd. I wanted to start with a line and breeder that would allow me to get a fresh start into IGP & dock diving. I will be working with an IGP trainer, but I still want something slightly easier to handle in drive. And yes, I will be extremely dedicated to this pup and will do plenty of research into any recommended breeders/lines!

I really appreciate any advice and I hope to get more into sporting GSDs and more into the GSD community :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your not opposed to purchasing a GSD in Canada, look up Wendelin Farm, GERMAN SHEPHERDS | wendelinfarm
Just make sure you are prepared to handle and train a true working line GSD.

Seeking advice is a good start, but beware of people recommending a Breeder that they have never purchased a dog from. Do your own research, when possible visit the breeder in person.

I have worked with numerous Wendelin dogs, and own two of them. Good luck in your search.

Kim

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
You need to determine what it is you like and want in the dog first. It’s easier to get an idea by meeting and talking to people about their dogs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you want to do IGP & dock diving try a working line. They seem to have a more relaxed attitude about whatever's between them and where they want to be.

My wife and I have a Czech line female and the biggest difference between her and a chocolate lab we fostered is that she will eventually say 'oh heck no' to mud puddles.

OK, there are more differences than just that but if you want a dog to be with you and ready for anything do look into a working line.

Oh, by the way, as WNGD alluded to above if this is your first GSD bigger is not necessarily better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts