German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kaiser needs some good training! We had started at puppy obedience and then the instructor got sick and cancelled indefinitely (mumps of all things). So I'm working with Kaiser either inside our house in a room by ourselves or outside on our backyard with no distractions.

He does very well when we're alone, very focused on me. He also did well in the puppy class, he'd sniff the others before class and then ignore them. But if Sadie is anywhere in sight, it's like I'm not even there!

I know he's only 7 months and I'm not expecting him to be perfect, I'm just wondering what the best approach is to train him to listen to me even when Sadie's there?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I have the same problem with my pup, can not get her to listen or even notice me when I have my older GSD around, I have just been surrenduring to training one on one, but it would be nice to get Rogue to focus on me when Riddick is around, maybe it comes with age, not sure.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I do not know if it will help you or not but you can try I guess.

But keep in mind I started this with my dogs when my boxer was a young pup.

I would work both out in the lawn and because my GSD hella had her BH and a superb down I could tie her out on her chain (The chain we have is used for Bite work at dog club) to a tree and work Uly at his OB heeling.

When it came time for Uly to get tied out I did not expect him to hold a down because he was just a small pup but then he got chained to the same tree.

Wow are you sure you were not in my class? She sounds like me sick all the time I feel so bad for my students.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Oh yeah so that that approach for now then as your younger GSD learns to hold a down ask for that when you tie them out. It s doable but it can be frustrating and hard at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts